Suspicion

Insert two months of pure hell here.

"Aurora, we've still got men outside the gate!"

"Carter says he needs to speak with you about the mine field!"

"Also, I could use some work if you need to man power-"

"Enough!" I burst, turning around to face the small crowd formed strong just behind me. "Kyle, that's one man outside the gate, Nichols, and he chose not to come in when I ordered the hunting parties to return so that's on him. Kacey, Carter is already waiting for me amongst the crowd set just outside and I'll be addressing his concerns shortly. Jackie, you want work? Stay close to me and you'll find some. Now everyone shut up and let me address the mass of confused people whose concerns are just as relevant as yours!"

Okay, I suppose for the sake of not being a total pessimist, these past couple months could also be considered an outlet for progress I have made in somewhat learning to lead these delinquents as well. Probably helps, however, that I technically am one myself.

But there are definite downfalls to leading.

Such realities become evident as while most of the individuals before me nod before dispersing, some joining the large crowd in anticipation of finally being addressed, Kyle remains, stick thin frame, goofy, sandy blond hair splayed out at wild angles with wide, naive eyes looking into mine intently, desperately.

"Aurora, please. Nichols is my best friend and went out there looking for his girlfriend. We can't just leave him-"

"This isn't a matter of can't, Kyle, it's a matter of won't, as in you going out there won't do jackshit for him. He made his choice."

"He's been missing since after we fired the rockets, though! Hundreds of deceased, charred Grounder bodies surround us and they're definitely planning a retaliation as we speak! It's not safe for him and it's been days since he last-"

"So make yourself useful and dig another damn grave, then! One hundred and sixty two of us left. Mark it down if that makes how dangerous our circumstances are any more real to you." I snap, effectively silencing him for good.

I take a deep breath as I take in Kyle's devastated expression before turning away from him to hustle over to the currently opened, manmade gate we managed to craft using materials from both the woods and the ship. I immediately look to the group of armed delinquents I have declared to be guards currently keeping watch outside the perimeter.

"All of you and everyone else who isn't assigned to keep watch at a turret, get inside! Now!" The one hundred and sixty two of us left, including myself, rush back behind the recently completed gates of our camp. They encircle the area of land that had been cleared in the woods due to our landing and rocket cataclysm, the area that has now become our unforgiving home. "Is everyone inside?" I call to the group once the the hustle and bustle has finally settled.

Anxious nods spread until they reach the front of the crowd, and while I am not certain of their certainty, it has to be good enough for me now.

"John, Brian, shut the gate! Carter, Alice, grab the mines and set up three groups of ten. We're forming a minefield around us. As soon as you reach the end of the gate, you will be covered by twenty of our gun men, and mark my words they will protect you with their lives. Kyle! Oh for god's sake, where the hell is Kyle?"

Unsure glances spread through the crowd, desperately searching for our top of the line tech man. Not only did him and Alice help to create the mines, Kyle is also in the process of creating grenades for us as well. That is, if anyone could find him. No one can.

"Stupid son of a bitch." I hiss.

"Aurora, what if he went out there to look for Nichols?"

"Then he's no longer our problem." I answer coldly, my chest aching against the finality of my words. "Where's Alice?"