Abidance

The ride out from Lux Cantavit is surprisingly easy on both Alfhild and myself, and lasts well under forty days. In fact, it is almost two weeks prior to the Fall Equinox by the time we reach Nocte Cantavit territory, the cool, once lavishly humid winds now feeling somewhat dense against my sunburnt cheeks and nose as the chilling breeze seeps into my pores and seems to abruptly cool my entire body down on the spot. The trees closest to the western boundary are already bearing various vibrant shades of a warmer toned pallet, this visual hint and the brisk winds announcing the upcoming season to be well on its way to arriving very soon.

"I had not even been aware there has been a shift in climate at all." I remark from Alfhild's back a week into riding through the once familiar landscaping.

"How could you have?" Einar notes from my side, gesturing to the desert lands now set well behind us from horseback. "The canyon region blocks many northern winds from our lands, hence why only the Water and Earth Clans receive any remote climate change. Although most of the Water Clan territory is so far north that winter bears its presence on a constant basis in those parts."

"I meant timewise Einar." I clarify with a grin.

Unfazed as always, Einar merely shrugs before mentioning, "Still, this is information you should be knowledgeable of."

"What, are you trying to tell me all those weeks of memorizing and instilling myself with monarchical knowledge served not enough purpose as is?" I complain, drawing a long sigh from the guard who I have slowed Alfhild down enough to now ride alongside of.

"I assure you, My Lady, we are all aware of how hard you've worked these past couple months."

I nod, returning my gaze forward once again. "Thank you-

"But no, you will have never done enough or learned enough to satisfy neither you nor myself."

Ironically I stay quiet upon receiving this harsh assessment from my guardian, merely narrowing my eyes in question by the time my curious gaze finds her wise one still directed ahead of us.

"You always want more for yourself." She states, carefully surveying the trees as she speaks.

"What do you mean more-?"

"I mean to accomplish more for your clan-"

"Our clan, Einar." I correct her with a knowing tone, looking forward once again. "You know how I feel about you referring to it as only mine, or anyone else doing so for that matter."

"Apologies, My Queen." She offers.

"Noted, and I apologize for interrupting. Please continue." I urge.

"I was simply stating that you will always want to do better, My Lady, and my desires will always align with your own. Hence such a blunt response on my part." She explains.

I nod, sparing a glance over my shoulder to see her now looking me over closely. I still have yet to decide whether or not having someone so close to me is a good or bad thing yet.

Soon enough a large, bulky snout of a mostly white stallion has infiltrated Alfhild's personal space as she juts her head away from the invasively curious creature impatiently.

"Oh, for god-"

"Easy, Einar." I urge with a subtle grin, amused by how easily her cousins presence seems to annoy her.

"This is going to be a long day." She mutters with an upward casted gaze.

I grin at this.

"Apologies, My Queen." Olvir offers a little sheepishly, but with a fond nature towards the intimidatingly large stallion as he pats a spot over the horse's neck at a brisk pace. "He's just curious. Would you like me to pull him back? Maybe check on the formations of my men a little ways back-?"