Cadence

"This is a plan with a lot of moving parts." I begin as I stand, Eerika's grip tightening over my hand as I do so. She retreats when I nod, hinting the wave of nausea and lightheadedness brought on by the Flame has passed. "There will be a taskforce providing an initial assault on Wyetta's men, which I will lead, and the rest of the army waiting for the signal to engage out of range in the gorge."

"An initial taskforce?" Eerika asks as I head forward to retrieve all of my weapons from their place scattered along the floor of the tent. "Don't your taskforces only amount to a handful of men?"

"Yes."

"A handful of men against a fit of fire power that killed over 200 of my warriors?"

"When I was under influence of the Flame, I saw something." I state, now fully geared up and ready to face the others. "Those pulverizers, while powerful, have one fatal flaw in their design."

"Which is?" Eadric asks, rising to stand beside his sister.

"They're vulnerable to precise impacts."

"Precise impacts?" Apache asks, taking a pointed step towards me. "You mean like gunfire?"

"Or hits from long distance weaponry."

"Such as spears or arrows?" Eerika asks.

"Arrows are easier," Eadric contributes, crossing his arms over his chest, "but you still have a lot of explaining to do."

I raise a wry brow against his impugning glare. "Probably best I do that in front of a crowd."

"The Ambassadors." Apache nods, already making a move for the flap of the tent. "I'll gather them at once."

"I'll check in with Olvir and Einar, see how the battalions are managing." Eerika offers.

"Fine but bring Einar to me when you're finished." I instruct, needing her by my side for this. "Maaike too if you see her."

"You'll be the first to know if I do."

"I'll get the others ready." Eadric offers, heading towards the flap of the tent.

I narrow my eyes towards his armored form, my expression hardened. "I didn't say the taskforce would consist of its original members."

As I expected, my critique stops Eadric completely in his tracks. But the tension always prevalent in his hitched shoulders and gloved hands is replaced by a precision in his movements as he calmly turns to face me. His jawline is sharp in a manner that suggests a degree of anger, his pale blue eyes alert as he considers my words with a stubborn jut of his chin. "Don't worry," he mutters, laconic as he flexes his hands bruised beneath their fingerless apparel, "I'll be quick."

I realize what is missing when he turns to leave the tent without another word. Ever since we were reunited, there has been youthful light in Eadric that has dimmed, a light that spoke to his believe in his invulnerability. I recognized the expression, never the feeling that accompanied it. Maybe he no longer does either.

Despite his mundane manner earlier, Eadric still joins my side effortlessly as I make my way towards the tent filled with every Ambassador and their seconds. Apache hefts his spear and shield over his back with an intensity matching Einar's manner as she joins my side in similar apparel, Maaike and Njal trailing a little ways behind them. Perhaps Eadric had a chat with the little boy about being his second from now on, grant him some protection after he bravely stood by Eerika's side despite her wrongdoings in the gorge? Either way, his loyalty is admirable, and this formation is interesting but seems to be enough to gain us some authority as medics and other personnel gladly step out of our way to bow to us with fists raised to their hearts.