Deception

After what feels like hours of walking with me having zoned out a while ago, the Commander next to me abruptly barks out an order, causing me to flinch from his incredible volume even muffled by the mask. "Aperi ianuam! Fac quod velox!" The intimidating figure turns to look over to me before hoarsely adding, "Habemus hospes speciali."

Speciali... that must mean special. But the rest of this clearly latin-based language is simply beyond my comprehension, unfortunately.

The troops behind us take this a signal to halt in their organized packs at once, and I admittedly jump once again as their spears slam onto the dusted forest floor surrounded by towering trees still surrounding us. The openness of this path suggests it is one that has been traveled often. Just as I have begun to turn forward again to follow my continuous tread, my entire body is being shoved back by a rough hand over my chest.

"Jesus!" I gasp, pulling back just before my face has the chance to slam against the ebony shoulder pad now just before me.

The Commander merely glances between myself and his burly arm before removing his hand from over my stomach at once. "Stay here." He grunts, an order.

I raise a sullen brow in answer until he finally looks forward again to step a couple paces ahead of me. I shake my head as soon as he has turned, unnerved by this barbaric language and the crude nature of these people only to look ahead and see that directly in front of me is an actual, proper gate that must be at least twenty feet high made of cleanly cut logs.

The Commander posts himself just before its grand height to address a couple of his warriors halted outside, the rest of his pack still stalled outside in their grand numbers.

Soon enough, the signal of a horn emerges, shockingly startling no one but me before the gate is opened revealing the most incredible... village? Is that what one could call this? The first thing one could make out is the flat, uncovered plain that is filled with vibrant, green grass neatly trimmed. Then there are the walkways made of dirt and stone that must serve some sort of purpose, but whether that purpose be directional or functional or both is something I cannot be sure of given my lack of time down here. The houses, like the gates, appear to be made of wood as well and are structured in an extremely organized layout with lines of houses running parallel to the straight path continuing out far in front of us. The village also seems to be covered in shops of the same material that serve multiple purposes from water and food to weapons and forges, clothing shops and more. The squared perimeter must be huge to contain this many of them.

We continue walking down a straight, large stone path that seems to have been placed along the center of the village from the beginning to the end, if I could even see the end from here. But the most amazing part? There appear to be houses that find themselves buried in the trees, wrapped away with vines and netting that give off the illusion that they are wondrously floating in the forest. But while these tree houses seem to be consistently placed throughout the perimeter of the city still covered by woods, the grounded homes suddenly seem to double in size around us. The shops also seem to increase in size and quality and if I am right, they most likely have a system of wealth here consisting of simple trade, if my observations are anything to go by.

The majority of the village people here seem to bear various shades of this blonde hair coloring, but the occasional individual show roots that suggest this color was implemented by their own design. Perhaps to mimic or honor their Commander of sorts? Everyone seems to wear some form of armor, whether it be a full set like their Commander or a simple chain mail cover, leather breastplate and leather gauntlets to cover various variations of crimson or dark tunics around us. Bold capes of animal fur cover the backs of the higher ranks, black in color for the warriors directly surrounding the Commander, but the people of other trades seem to also manage similar coverings of animal skin as well as smaller, or simply differently colored pelts cover some of their backs as well. This is seen on most of the men who must be diplomatics figures here. There are also many warriors and hunters, some with heavier armor than others, and lighter armor over those with bows drawn over their backs. But a couple women, I notice, are walking around with similar weaponry and rabbits, foxes and such strung in their hands and slung over their shoulders. They relieve me with their presence given that it appears that both sexes must be respected and provided equal opportunity here... as long as you are willing to work for that respect, that is.