Vulnerability

"Eadric, do you mind accompanying me to the clinic? I left my journal there and would like to pick it up to study somewhat tonight." Lies. I left it there per Kiche's permission, but it is the best I can come up with on the spot like this.

Eadric hesitates at the odd request but eventually nods, motioning for me to go first. I can feel Eerika's eyes tracking my every movement as we walk together towards the clinic, but manage to block her out as I study Eadric's right arm while we walk. It is difficult with me walking on his left side, but even through my peripheral vision, I can see it stays remarkably still at his side even without him holding it while his other arms sways normally.

Once inside the tent, I nod reassuringly towards Kiche who approaches us immediately upon our arrival, telling him, "I decided to grab my sketchbook to study some tonight after all." He furrows his eyebrows in confusion at that, but after studying my expression curiously for a moment, he finally nods and motions for me to go the area meant for only Healers in the back.

I go to my wooden shelf and grab my sketchbook, rapidly turning the pages to find the medication I am looking for as I motion towards the bed. Each Healer has one in case the clinic gets busy and an overnighter is required.

Eadric's lips are parted when I glance towards him upon him making no move, and after studying my expression closely, he scoffs, knowing I found him out. "As you wish." He grunts, heading towards the bed.

"You can sit up if you want, but lean against the headrest and sit with your right arm closest to me." I instruct as soon as he has done so.

He complies, saying nothing as I place one hand on his wrist and the other on his elbow. I then anchor my left foot against the headrest of the bed while keeping my foot closest to the bed planted solidly on the ground. Slowly I pull his arm towards me until I feel the head of the humerus slide under his shoulder blade where it eventually pops back into place. He grunts as it does so, but that is the only time he shows any sign of discomfort during the entire process, his eyes staying on mine as I work on his shoulder. I grab the dark green paste from the back commonly used to relieve irritation and gently massage it onto the joint after taking off his shoulder armor and lifting his tunic slightly to make room for my hand. Normally I would only consider touching the joint if the patient was under anesthesia, and even then I would be hesitant to do so but clearly Eadric is hardly bothered by cruder methods of treatment.

"You know," I begin, his eyes still tracking my movements closely as I work, "you might want to tell people when you've dislocated a joint. Despite your performance, one cannot help but notice the fact that your shoulder was squared at the top."

Eadric tilts his chin back, his eyes gleaming with admiration as he claims, "The only reason you noticed is because you're knowledgeable about this kind of stuff."

"Can I ask, what exactly were you going to do once you got home with a dislocated shoulder?"

"I was going to go home, remove my armor, pop it back into place, and have a bath." He says, as though he were casually listing out his everyday schedule.

"Clever." I tell him sarcastically, and that snarky remark somehow gets a smile out of him that causes me to hesitate a moment due to the uncharacteristic nature of this sudden sense of ease he now displays. It is an expression that would fit one his age, surely, but not his character, his rank, nor his position. I consider this for a moment, my brows furrowed at this slightly dark realization I have just made before I finally resume my work. "So, normally at this point I would authorize you put a sling on it, but I am assuming that's not your plan as you've suffered an injury like this before?"

He nods before insisting, "I'll be careful not to move it too much and will instruct Apache to lead the hunts for the next week."

"You realize this kind of injury is meant to be rested for twelve to sixteen weeks after getting popped back into place? Not one."