Fare

That morning my eyes are burning even against the dim light of dawn, but even after only four or so hours of rest, I decide it would be best to rise for the day to meet Einar for some training. My instructors were unable to come with me, but regarding language and general tactics of leading, I suppose both arts are advanced enough for me to survive a couple weeks away from the oasis. Eadric is sound asleep beside me when I cautiously turn over to face him, except-no, actually, he is not. The way his body is tensed, his eyebrows harshly knitted with a sheen layer of sweat covering his skin... yeah, I recognise this state too well. He is having a nightmare. Perhaps that was what woke me what with his heavy, sporadic breathing and such. I will have to be cautious regarding how I go about this.

I start by readying myself to fein back in a moments notice, my manner now noticeably cautious. I then take a moment to observe his unchanging, trembling before quickly knocking the head of the bed then retreating in time for him to bold upright and twist over with his fist loudly contacting the stained wood right where mine had been. This motion brings him well into my space, an observation I note is rather prevalent by the time his widened eyes meet my own slightly startled gaze.

His heavy panting fills the hollow silence, his eyes not leaving mine.

"Eadric."

"Aurora," he coughs, finally retreating back some with a hand to his throat, "what is it? What's wrong?"

"That's what I'm supposed to ask you." I state, causing him to reel back slightly in confusion.

"What do you mean?"

"You just jumped." I press, my tone heavy as realization washes over his features. "What happened? Were you having a nightmare?"

Eadric breaks eye contact from me then, looking down as though unsure of how to answer. He takes a moment to gather his thoughts before relenting, "It was more like a vision of sorts."

"A vision?" I echo, clearly confused.

"From previous leaders. They sometimes speak to me in my sleep."

His explanation only seeks to confuse me even more as I narrow my eyes towards his now hunched over form, still heaving from the exhaustive efforts such an experience seems to have wrought on him. I give him a moment to brush back the damp strands of hair now stuck to his sheen forehead before attempting to clarify, "The previous leaders... they speak to you?"

"Yes. Only on occasion, however. To send me messages."

"And what did this supposed message say?" I ask, shuffling towards him to press a comforting hand to his upper back. The surface is slick to the touch but I press firmly, a nonverbal reminder of my support for him, even if I am not necessarily sure I understand these current circumstances.

"There's a disaster coming," Eadric reveals, breathless, "one that cannot be stopped by drawing blood, one that is out of my control."

I tense for a brief moment then, the saliva in my throat suddenly coagulated as I swallow thickly. How could he have heard of the radiation already?

Eadric seems too distracted to notice my dismay as he buries his head in his hands. "The first leader who encountered a similar obstacle, she was the one who sent me the message."

"Your first leader was a woman?" I ask, having only heard of this now.

"Yes. Nova autem Mons Cantavit. Mountain Crew."

"Never heard of it." I note, but Eadric just nods, like he expected such an answer.

"That is because her clan no longer exists. It was located southwest of Light Crew, and, like Lava Crew far east of here, it was centered around a nuclear power plant. It was the first clan to exist until it got nearly destroyed in a past war. But there are rumors that there were other factors that caused the people to abandon the clan and migrate north to incorporate into Light Crew-"