Planning

The next morning I awake to the feeling of something brushing along my stomach and suddenly remember everything that happened last night all while my eyes remain closed. I then realize that Eadric's arms are no longer around me, and that I am laying with my back on the mattress, the blanket now bundled at my waist with the tee shirt pulled up and my shorts pulled down slightly. As I realize this, I open my eyes, more than prepared to get out a string of obscenities when I see Eadric hovering over me slightly, his face only inches away from the large bruise left by the shock stick used on me months ago. I stay silent, watching him intently as he runs his fingers gently down the large scar, hesitating once he gets to the darkest portion of the mark in the middle of it all. That spot clearly shows where the tip of the shock stick had struck me. After a moment of hesitation, I watch as he eventually presses the tips of his fingers along the mark. He stays in that position for a moment or so before he looks down distractedly, as though trying to figure something out as the frayed tips of his hair tickle the damaged skin forever marking the punishment I received for allowing my emotions to get the better of me. To do so, just once, had proven to be enough that day. Eadric then closes his eyes, his expression that had once consisted of heavily furrowed eyebrows of an observant nature now softening entirely into a disdainful sigh as he now rests his forehead onto my hip entirely, as though he cannot bear to look at it for a moment longer.

"What are you doing?" I manage after giving him a moment or so to process what he had just seen without my permission.

He looks up slightly then, not yet meeting my gaze as he answers simply, "I'm making my peace with it."

"What?"

"My people, when those we care for get injured, we feel the need to address the injury and accept it in order to move forward." He says, finally looking towards me.

I just stay silent until he looks back down towards the scar, running his fingers along it again before adding, "Someday, you're going to have to tell me how you got this."

"Well, it's definitely not one of my most honorable moments."

"No injury received can be considered honorable when you think about it."

"I try not to."

"Then talk. Sometimes the best way to overcome a dark memory is to talk about it, and let us not forget the fact that I know almost nothing about you."

"Same to you." I manage quickly.

Eadric smirks, looking down ruefully at that, but unfortunately he must have been expecting that kind of response from me as he is stating only moments later, "You've been living in my village for weeks now. I deserve an explanation of what your home is like, and how you got this, if that's not too much to ask."

I sigh, rolling my eyes before finally getting out, "Fine. Back on Superior, our ship, my home," I clarify quickly before continuing, "I had a... bad temper, one could call it. I managed to get myself arrested by physically harming three guards, knocking two of them out. You could say I abused my knowledge of medical practices." I smile ruefully at that, and Eadric's darkened expression just stays on mine as I prepare to continue, choosing my words carefully so as not to reveal anything more than how the injury was received, not offering much detail as to the why. "In reaction to my outburst, I had created a dangerous reputation for myself so when they came to retrieve me from my cell the day us prisoners were being sent to the ground, I freaked out a little, and they shock sticked me. It's like a metal rod that sends a jolt of electricity through you, meant to momentarily disable or knock people out, but it can kill too, depending on how long it's on them."

"Wait. Are you saying only prisoners of your people were sent down?" Eadric suddenly interrupts, now seemingly even more attentive towards my words as he pulls his arms caged around either side of my body closer to him to prop himself up more.