Discoveries

If I thought the canyon region was rough, the desert is an absolute blistering hot hellhole. Within a single day both the back of my neck and face are sunburnt, my lips constantly chapped as I bite down on them irritably, and the dry heat does nothing to treat the itchiness of my throat and burning of my eyes. In fact, it only really acts to ensures such irritable symptomes. Aside from the physical pains, the environment is intimidating for one so unfamiliar with it. The sandy stretch is accented by ripples like that of the bodies of water I have sketched aboard Superior, which pertains to a beautiful yet cruel sense of irony, and the wind is not all that different. While it may appear similarly familiar and potentially refreshing as it picks up and twirls the golden red sand elegantly, the breeze turns out to be nothing but a gust of burning hot air which I did not even think was possible until it scorched my already sensitive skin in its wake. The occasional, gauntly tree will appear on a small island of ground just as desolate as its surroundings, but the small patches of grass unfitting for most other circumstances provide a steady food source for the horses whose owners are already running scarce on food. By the time the first couple days have passed, any lead we had on our schedule is shot down without any chance of return.

"Ah, fuck." I grit by the time that third week of travel has passed, the sun almost finished with its descent in the sky as my hand travels to my abdomen.

"What is it? What's wrong?" Eadric asks, turning towards me.

I shake my head, not all that bothered by the subtle pains in comparison with the other lingering factors of traveling in dry heat like this. "Nothing, just cramps. I'll be fine."

Except when I look back to Eadric, it is clear he is anything but fine as his cheeks heat instantly, his eyes widening in panic. "Oh god. Oh shit." He groans, stopping right then and there.

I narrow my eyes suspiciously. "What's up? Why the hell are you stopping?"

"Because you... well you're-"

"I'm?" I question, stretching the word out to mock his faltering.

"You're, I mean you, well you've reached that... that, uh, t-time of the month, haven't you?"

"I've what?" I gasp, my expression incredulous and grin unmistakable at the pure absurdity behind this random ass assumption being the source of his ridiculous reaction.

"This isn't funny!" He counters immediately, his free hand not currently clamped over the reins of Eileifr now scraping back the sections of his frayed fringe in a panic. "My sister gets insane whenever this happens to her, throwing shit all over the place. Nope, I'm not dealing with this shit. Barons!"

"Yes, Commander?"

"We are to camp out here for the night! Find Lesedi and her team! Aurora will travel with them for the meantime-"

"Eadric!"

"And get the Healing team as well, we're gonna need their services-"

"Eadric! Shut up!" I burst, effectively cutting him off before I turn to the crowd. "Barons, ignore everything you just heard from your King and proceed setting up camp for the night! That is all!"

The few who had stepped forward upon hearing of this unfamiliar term to me exchange wary glances with one another before looking up to Eadric who currently has his head in his hands.

"Need I repeat myself?" I follow when my orders do not seem to translate, to which everyone finally seems to relent and hurriedly turn to their designated tasks for set up.

I face Eadric then, yanking him down towards me by the upper rim of the chestplate as soon as the crowd has begun rapidly dispersing. He swallows, pulling back his face as though worried I will explode and start beating the shit out of him any second now, and I admittedly bristle before checking myself, dropping in volume considerably so only he can hear me by the time I speak again.