Intentions

"I cannot believe you made me walk back through the three districts just to get to the Regiment Compound." I grit through my teeth as we pass the citizens in the market district who look over us closely, bowing with a fist over their hearts as we pass. At this point many faces are familiar but of course many new ones have appeared by now as well.

"I already told you someone of status has no place setting a foot in the Arena District, My Lady. This is no time to be complaining over such trivial matters." Einar immediately retorts, her manner cool as ever.

"I'll have to address it sooner or later, Einar, you know this." I tell her with an exasperated edge to my tone.

"Of course you do." She simply comments in response.

She senses the eager steps of the child rapidly approaching us seconds prior to myself doing the same, and before I can say anything in protest, the faithful royal guard has cut the little girl off with the end of her spear just before she has a chance to barrel into my legs. This action regrettably results in the grown out, knotted length of the child's ebony hair to whip wildly through the air as she stumbles back before inevitably falling onto the dusted ground butt first. I watch curiously as the little girl covered in tattered rags for clothing clumsily shakes the hair out of her dirt covered face, and my lips part upon seeing her face, even if only for a moment, as it is enough to reveal much about her current lifestyle. I am tempted to look closer just in time for a harsh looking middle age woman to stumble up to us with haste before I can get a better look at her face.

"Maaike! Maaike, huc redire!"

By the time the raging young woman rushes up to us, she has yanked the little girl up roughly by her upper arm, the piecey strands of her hair falling from her twisted ponytail as she proceeds to scold the child in front of us without thought. It is by the time she actually raises a hand to the little girl that I step in, quickly securing a grip over the impatient woman's wrist in a moments notice.

"Who dares-My Queen!" The young woman gasps, her expression of pure abhorrence immediately softening to one of shock as she takes in just who exactly put a stop to her reckless raging. She seems to stumble back into a bow of sorts following this realization, ducking her head immediately once I have cautiously released her hand so she may complete the gesture properly.

"What is this?" I question, retreating some from the absurd scene before me as I briefly motion to Einar for an explanation. My eyes still linger over the child clumsily stumbling into a kneeling position to match the woman beside her who has agrilly tugged her down to ensure she has done so. The child rebelliously grunts upon being forced to do so, drawing a smirk from my dry lips.

"From a first glance, it would seem this child has committed a crime of sorts, My Lady." Einar begins, sounding a little less than impressed at the scene that has just unfolded before us to say the least.

I narrow my eyes in understanding once I look to the little girls hand holding a small loaf of bread close to her chest. "And you're sure of this?" I press, simply seeing if the royal guard could perhaps offer me more insight on the matter given she grew up here, even if in the royal district.

"It is evident given her clothes are... well, they are not the standard tunic children staying at the orphanage are provided."

"So, this child has committed a crime against your shop, I take it?" I suddenly ask, stepping up to the young baker before me who slowly raises her eyes upon seeing my gait emerge within her downward casted gaze.

"Uh, yes, she has, My Lady." The woman mutters, her voice suddenly not so large and demanding anymore.

"I see. And the name you were calling her earlier... has an event like this occured prior to today?" I press, wanting an explanation for such rampant anger against a child.