Expedition

"It is a good thing you packed well," Kiche reassures me that late afternoon as we head straight for the main gate, "it is a long journey to Lux Cantavit. Staying hydrated will be crucial."

"Right." I mutter, holding tight to Alfhild's reins as I guide her through the crowded streets to the front of the village. Dusk is our cue. We leave at sundown.

"The desert stretch is long, however, so drink up now while you can and refill often using the streams so you are most prepared to ration for days if it at any point comes to that."

"I will."

"And always keep your packs on your horse so they can adjust to traveling with the weight overtime. It is a forty day journey to Lux Cantavit, I need to be assured you are best prepared."

"Wait," I stop, halting with the rest of the men just outside the gate as I turn to face Kiche, "I thought the journey to Lux Cantavit was only two weeks to twenty days at most."

"No. It's a twenty day journey to the desert, twenty more to reach the capital of Lux Cantavit." He informs me.

"And how exactly did you come up with those calculations?" I question suspiciously, desperate for some misplaced information there because seriously, forty days of this shit? You have got to be kidding me.

"I'm afraid it is roughly a 1,600 mile journey to Lux Cantavit. If you push the horses to cover forty miles a day, that gives you a forty day journey."

"Great." I grunt, slumping against Alfhild who looks to me almost apologetically. Good thing she has been trained for this.

"It is okay, child," Kiche soothes with a chuckle, his hand raised to my shoulder as he pulls me into a gentle but firm embrace. "You do what you have to do there, and when you come home, I'll be waiting here, ready to help you recover. I promise the journey back will go by much faster than that to reach such a barren place."

"Let us hope so." I pray with a squeeze.

We release each other a moment after, his hand coming to my shoulder once again. "Good luck, Aurora."

"Vale, Kiche."

He nods one last time before finally releasing me to head back towards the clinic. I watch him go for awhile until a tug of my hair suddenly startles me. I turn quickly to see it is Lakote who now steps in front of me.

"Hey, Raven." He greets.

"Hey," I manage, curt.

"How're you doing?" He asks softly, seemingly back to his former self as he looks me over closely.

"I'm fine, just anxious to get going." I tell him, to which he nods.

"Look," he begins after a moment, raising a hand to the back of his head in uncertainty, "I know you heard I was the reason Nahko is staying behind for this one-"

"It doesn't make a difference to me." I tell him indifferently as I turn to Alfhild, double checking a couple of the straps over her front in order to distract myself from his honest gaze.

"Even if that were the case, I just want you to know it was all for your own good. Going into battle like this, you need some time to yourself to train and focus."

"I thought you were the one who always told me to find a balance." I snap, finally turning on him. "Why the hell are you going back on that all of a sudden?"

"Because that was when you were establishing your home back here again, your stake in all of this. Now, this journey is for you to focus and hone in all of your training to go in there at your best."