Tempest

"Aurora," Jackie begins with an exasperated huff, "I get that some of the group's still got some previous animosites towards you ditching after Trident and all but I assure you no one on the team wants you dead."

"What Jackie means to say is you can't seriously insist on sacrificing yourself over something like this, Aurora, it's crazy!"

I sigh, raising a hand to pinch the bridge of my nose. "You guys, I'm ninety-nine percent confident this bone marrow transfer is going to work, alright? I trust Nova's research. She was a geneticist amongst all of her previous trades and was alive prior to the bombs going off. The second those samples are prepped, I'm going to double check my research on the RNA bonding to ensure every aspect of this transfer will go as planned. In the meantime, one of you needs to slip Ukaleq out of the house to get her here with little attention, okay? Can I trust you guys to do this, to trust me?"

The two girls exchange wary glances, clearly not yet sold on this idea of mine but with no outright objections being voiced, I feel slightly more confident as Alice looks to me, finally speaking up. "Why do you need Ukaleq here?" She asks, hesitant.

"I'm going to need her out cold to extract the bone marrow safely. It won't do any harm to her, but this environment is the safest for her, that I can promise." I insist, taking a step towards the pair.

"Fine." Jackie nods, setting her hands over her hips. "I'll distract the guys while Alice slips Ukaleq out so you can complete the transfusion."

"Good-"

"But if those stem cells don't graft successfully and your first injection doesn't change your blood into that disturbing ass shade the second we eject a sample to see," Jackie states, her gaze intent as my own still glazed over by exhaustion meets it, "this little plan of yours is over, alright?"

"Alright." I relent, taking the hand she holds out in agreement. "I won't do anything until you're here to assist me, okay?"

"Okay. Now come on." She instructs, turning to Alice. "We should get a move on while the guys are still out on their rounds."

"Let's do it."

The girls rush out of the lab at once then, leaving me to my thoughts... and my worries.

They only escalate when a certain someone shows up.

"Jesus, what the hell took you two so long?" I groan upon hearing the padding of footsteps making their may down the entryway. I sit up from where I had splayed myself over one of the many lab tables set along the center counsel in the lower level of the lab facilities, the RNA simulation still playing over the computer screen just beside me.

A deep chuckle echoes throughout the interior of the space. "I apologize, my love, but I can only trek here so fast while scouting for any dangers." The voice remarks, just in time for me to make out a hulking silhouette working his way down the bold red staircase.

"Eadric," I note, clearing my throat to hide the subtle hint of wavering in my tone, "what are you doing here?"

"Just came to drop you off some lunch after learning that Jackie's definition of the sort was protein bars." He states with an evident air of dismay. When I look closer into one of his gloved hands, I take note of the two glass containers filled with steaming, water-based risotto in tow.

"What, you got dinner covered in there too somewhere?" I tease, finally relaxing some when he steps forward to press a kiss to my cheek before setting a container on my lap.

"More like I figured I could join you, if you'd let me?" He asks, leaning forward to rest his hands along the edge of the table I am still sat on.

"What, like a date?" I tease with an air of snark, enjoying the way he ducks his head with a rueful grin occupying his features.