Affinity

After having spent the bulk of yesterday properly organizing the arrival of all, or rather most of, the clans, I am finally given the opportunity to properly greet my people. Olvir is the first to reach me once Einar has escorted him to greet me this morning, and he does not even spare a moment after the door to my dorm has slid open before sweeping me up into his arms, holding me incredibly tight to barreled chest already rumbling with joyous laughter.

"My hardworking Queen, how nice it is to see you!" He laughs, leaning forwards to finally set me down.

My grin does not diminish any as I offer, "It's nice to see you too, Olvir. Are your parents finally settled?"

"I recon Taina will have no problems helping the other older women dry and store meat for a bit as the hunting parties sizes have grown greatly since yesterday." He informs me, seemingly content with this.

"And your father?" I ask when no explanation is offered.

Einar steps up to reveal that, "Snorri has made himself at home in your forge but is having some trouble adjusting to the equipment. I asked Alice to spare some time to help him out when she is not otherwise occupied."

"She should be up to the test then." I decide. "If anyone can find a way to get along with the most closed off individuals, its her."

"Then this notion relieves me." Olvir states with a gruff smile. It falters, however, as soon as he has spotted a sleepy Maaike slowly making her way over to us.

"It's okay," I tell her, reaching out a hand that she takes immediately before scooting herself into my side. "He's a friend."

"And I'd have to say I'm a pretty good one at that." Olvir states brashly, kneeling down to properly greet the little girl. "Einar, here, tells me that you have already started training to become a warrior someday. Is this true?"

"I want to be able to protect myself." Maaike bravely states, stepping a bit away from me to stand up tall on her own. "I want to learn to face my demons."

"And that is a very brave thing to do." Olvir admires with a brash grin. "However," he suddenly prompts, his expression abruptly hardening, "I'm afraid my men have already begun working and from what I hear, you have some schooling to attend to soon anyways."

"I guess so." Maaike pouts, crossing her arms over her chest.

It is then that Olvir's eyes dart down to the dagger she has tucked into the belt of her jumpsuit of sorts, and his wolfish grin emerges yet again. "Then how about we try to get some practice in before your school day officially starts. Would you be okay with that?"

"As long as Aurora is!" Maaike states excitably, her gaze trailing up to me.

"Of course it is." I nod, tucking a strand of her hair behind her ear.

"Thank you, Aurora!" She smiles, wrapping her arms around my hips with evident eagerness.

"Of course." I chuckle. "Please make sure she does eventually get to school though." I warn Olvir as he rises.

"I will personally escort her there myself, Your Majesty." He bows, respectful. "As soon as we are finished, of course." He cannot help but cheekily add as Maaike giggles, taking his outstretched hand. "I should be back by your side within the hour, My Lady."

"I'll see you then." Einar and I watch in awe as Olvir escorts a thrilled Maaike to his training grounds, his laughter booming through the narrow corridor of the ship the entire time he does so. "May I ask you something?" I suddenly ask, momentarily drawing Einar's distracted gaze to me.

"Anything, My Queen."

"Why is it that the most intimidating looking people always seem to be the best with children?" I cannot help but wonder aloud as I take in the odd sight unfolding behind me.