Confliction

As I had predicted, Eadric never comes home that night and before I know it, my eyes are opening to a soft pink sky. It is breathtaking, really, but I have to get ready for my goddamn training for a goddamn asshole who is probably going to verbally beat me to a pulp if I ignore him. Damn tyrant. I manage to fill the tub with cold water, not even bothering to light the fire before plunging under it where I follow with soap in my hair that runs into my eyes, stinging the already swollen flesh from having nearly cried the night prior. Oh well. At least my blood is flowing.

I get out, tying my wet hair into a braid down my back that only manages a few iterations before I have to tie it off, brushing the strands that have fallen from the braid away from my face by clumsily shoving them back behind my ears. I then brush my teeth, scrubbing some additional cool water onto my face before finally dressing into my baseball tee, jacket, pants, gloves and boots. All clothing from the sky, all stitches of clothing on my body that belong to me, clothing that is mine and has absolutely nothing to do with these savages.

In a last minute decision, I take out the braid, tugging my hands through the soft waves until they almost immediately turn straight again and shake it out some before finally looking to my reflection. This girl on the outside was the girl who left Superior, and somehow she was also the person I needed to be in order to lead. I need that physical reminder of who I am now more than ever.

I just make it down the ladder before immediately being greeted with a royal guard who keeps his expression nonchalant as he tells me, "Pardon the interruption, Aurora of the Sky people, but the Commander instructed I leave you with a message prior to your walk to the clinic."

I study the boy for a second. Ashy light blond hair, large icy blue eyes that seem to be trying too hard to remain scolded. He cannot be more than sixteen years old at the most. "Go on, then." I get out as I attempt to scrub the remains of sleep from my face.

"The Commander has left for Lignum Cantavit, one of the clans in alliance with us and has tasked me with the responsibility of telling you this."

Silence for a moment as I process this new information before suddenly muttering to myself, "Asshole, didn't even say goodbye."

"What was that, My Lady?"

"What? Oh, uh, when is he going to be back, then?"

"About three to five days depending on the weather and if everything goes to plan, My Lady."

"Stop calling me that, it's weird." I get out, and the boy looks towards me in shock, clearly surprised at the discovery that his people's future Queen is human, and suffering from a major hangover, for that matter.

"Then what title should I address you by, Miss?"

"What do you think? My name is Aurora, address me by that."

"Of course, Miss Aurora."

"Oh for god sakes. You know what?" I look to the boy harshly, but I see the way he hesitates, almost flinching and suddenly I realize that I do have a heart and that perhaps I should just drop the matter. I sigh, rolling my eyes before getting out, "Whatever, I guess that'll do until we become more familiar with each other."

"Oh, excuse me, Miss Aurora, my mission is to keep an eye on you, not to get in your way-"

"So you expect to be able to shadow me, follow me everywhere I go and yet you don't even wish to have a conversation with me?"

A smile plays at my lips as he struggles to find an answer, clearly fearing at the idea of saying the wrong thing so I decide to show him some mercy. "Come on. I'm on my way to the clinic, we can start now."