[8] My Thought that orbit the sky

Is it the many lights in the room that blind Natsume's eyes? No, it's not. Then, perhaps the many youkai gathered in one room, enjoying their time with the third head of the Nura clan. But unfortunately, it's not precisely why Natsume kept his attention to Rikuo. Or, the night Rikuo, as what the other youkai said." Gyahahaha, just look at this plumpy belly, Madara! Do you think you still can fly with this burden in your tummy? Gyahahaha...! "In the middle of everyone's laughter, the Supreme Commander seems to be really enjoying his time with his long-lost pet.

" You stupid geezer! As if that lame backache won't affect your short body! "Holding his cup terribly, Nyanko-sensei backfires on Nurarihyon, who is sitting beside him.

On the other side, the night Rikuo seems calmer than Natsume had seen before in daylight, but he still lives through this merry gathering every so often. Not so far from him, the smaller Youkai line is on his left side, while across them, Rikuo's right side is the more prominent Youkai with higher social status.

And where does Natsume sit? It's not so far from the podium in the middle of the gathering but on Rikuo's left side. Natsume couldn't care less about that; he's entirely a human and not someone special after all. He's indeed a guest, but he is still the one who destroyed the previous meeting room. And on top of that, he couldn't return everyone's name at once.

" Sigh... "Natsume sighed a little as he looked down at his drink.

He was probably too busy pitying himself that he didn't realize Kurotabo was sitting beside him and getting concerned about the human child's well-being." Are you alright, Natsume-dono? Do you feel a little bit...dizzy or something? I heard it's not good for human children to stay up so late. Since Master Rikuo isn't entirely a human, it never occurred to me to think about such a possibility. "

Natsume, who feels indebted to Rikuo's group, quickly straightens his back and puts the usual calming smile on him." No, I'm alright. Sorry to make you worried. "

" No, no, don't be. It's already my job to protect you as a guest if there's any problem. "

" Thank you, Kurotabo-san. "Kurotabo chuckled a little as he heard how the guest put an honorific on his name.

" Haha, please just call me Kurotabo. "

Natsume became flustered a little, but he just did what he told after that. Deep down, he's always been a polite kid, and nobody knows how hard it is for Natsume to talk with a more masculine tone and words due to his complex of having a feminine face.

" The show will still last much longer. I know you must be tired from the travel and returning names, so please go home before the night gets even latter. You don't have to go through the whole banquet, Natsume-dono. "
Kurotabo shows a slightly worried face as he lifts his straw hat to Natsume.

" Ah... You're right. Thank you for your concern. But... "Natsume's words trailed off as he looked at the palanquin, how his diligent cat was almost drunk from drinking too much with the other Youkai." But it seems it would be hard to ask Sensei now. "He sheepishly laughed.

Kurotabo then turns around and looks hopeless when he sees what Natsume means." Really, maybe it's not my place to say this, but as master Rikuo's bodyguard, I still don't know why you chose such a careless youkai as Madara-sama to be your bodyguard. He is not just a drunkard, but he has an attitude as well. "

Somehow, Kurotabo ends up bad-mouthing about the cat. Fortunately, Natsume is not bothered by it; he understands exactly how he feels about Sensei. Which makes him chuckle mentally.

" Haha, maybe it's true, but he's pretty reliable when the time comes. Oh, that's right, I've heard from Nurarihyon-san before. You knew Sensei already from before he was sealed, isn't it? "

" Ah well, at that time, my previous master, Rihan-sama, before he married Kana-sama, the Third Head's mother, came to the forest where Madara previously resided. But only once in a while. Although Rihan-sama was more carefree than the Supreme Commander, he could be a serious person when the time warrants it. "

" I see. Nyanko-sensei rarely ever says anything about his past and friends. Not that I ever ask him as well though. "Natsume ends his words, laughing at Nyanko behind his back.

Hearing that statement makes Kurotabo raise an eyebrow at him. He thought it was odd for Natsume to not know that much, even though they seem really close to each other.

" Are you not close with Madara-sama? "He frankly asked.

Natsume is stunned momentarily, but he's trying not to show it on his face. " Ah... Well, I don't really know if I have the right to regard it that way, haha. "Just when Kurotabo wanted to ask more questions, Natsume tracked his words in addition.

" But one thing I can be so sure of is that Nyanko-sensei... is kind. "Natsume smiles sweetly, casting his gaze down at the food on his small table.

For a brief moment, in this rowdy gathering, Kurotabo didn't expect that his guest would say such gentle words so delicately. Probably, he understands now why that feral beast chooses to stay beside this peculiar human child. At least for as brief as human life goes.

" I see, that's enough then. "And Kurotabo smiles back.

.

.

.

" The time is up for me, it seems. "Natsume says kindly to the Third Head, who stands before him in the yard. Rikuo has wanted to talk with Natsume in his night form for a while now. It's not as if he's trying to differentiate himself from his night self, but he wishes that Natsume could see his other self as well. It's a shame that today, he didn't get to talk much with Natsume in this form.

" Well, it can't be helped then. Sorry for troubling you with this gathering. You could've just got back first before it gets dark. Oh, and say my regards to Touko-san for the lunchbox. My mother already already returned your lunchbox with our thanks inside. "
The man that stands taller, a few centimeters from Natsume, smiles gracefully still with those menacing eyes of him. The night Rikuo really does give Natsume a different aura.

" It's alright. It's rare for me to be in a gathering with lots of Youkai like this. I have two friends who also live in a stunning traditional mansion like this, but one is a temple ground, and the other is wrapped with strong barriers. The Youkai in the area tends to avoid their place. Your house is the total opposite of my friend's, haha. "Rikuo is surprised to know that Natsume is friends with those who have holy attributes with them. When Natsume himself has this weird entanglement with the Youkai. Just like him with Yura Keikain.

" I heard you don't have any exorcist backgrounds, but I guess they found you instead. I know how it feels because I'm the same. "Rikuo inhaled his pipe with a snicker.

" Haha, could it be some sort of gift as the troublemaker's grandson? "Natsume thought jokingly and shared a laugh with Rikuo. They both agree as the two grandsons of their troublesome grandparents.

Suddenly, a white smoke covered him as the smoke revealed Sensei's white beast form, his white cold breath painted clearly under the moonlight. No matter how many times the Youkai see his beast form--it's only twice yet, actually-- it's still captivating for them.

" We're taking the shortcut. "He said--or instead ordered Natsume to.

" We're not taking the train? "

" It's too meddlesome to deal with the stray youkai in here. I don't want to accidentally eat someone's underling, after all. "Sensei eyed the baldy Supreme Commander, who hid his hands under his sleeves and smirked annoyingly at Sensei. The old Nurarihyon knows that Madara couldn't do as he pleased in a big city like this because each district has its own rules, and some stray Youkai could belong to someone's group.

" Don't underestimate my fellow old weasel, kukuku. "Nurarihyon sassed him back, which returned with a strong sway from Madara's fluffy tail onto Nurarihyon's body.

" Shut it, hope yo choked on my fur. "

" Geh! Disgusting dog! "Nurarihyon indeed coughs a few times before he covers his nose with his sleeves.Everyone laughs at these two old Youkai banter. They really don't give each other a break. Shortly after that, Natsume climbs on Madara's back and waves his goodbye to the others as they ascend to the night sky of Tokyo.