[17] It overcomes the suffering

Maybe it was because of Natsume's act of securing the area from Youkai a few days ago that made Madara less worried about Natsume's well-being now. Although they're parted from each other, and usually it would make Nyanko-sensei scold him out of--hidden--worries, right now, Madara seems slightly calmer than usual.

However, as a Youkai who had lived long enough, he's not so careless to let his guard down when it comes to Natsume.

Carrying the annoying friend's grandson on his back, he would take a glimpse at him from time to time. He was checking Rikuo out to see if he suddenly got uneasy struck again, like before. Madara himself is usually supposed not to think about him that much. But deep in his heart, sometimes he would think it was Natsume's fault that made Madara slightly softer on the edge.

" Ahead! I can feel Zen's aura ahead! "

Informed Rikuo suddenly, snapping Madara out of his mind.

Without waiting anymore, Madara quickens his pace, and his steps are getting outlying.

Just like Rikuo's instinct--or maybe it was the power of his bond with Zen, they can finally meet again.

The wind that hit Natsume's face was harsh, but the scent of it never escaped Natsume's memory; he knew the sweet smell coming out from Madara when he enveloped him with his fur. The sweet smell of a faint red bean paste is probably due to Nanatsujiya's manjuu that he consumed so much. Madara is getting close to Natsume's position.

Madara breaks through the bushes and trees from blocking them. And at that instant, the four separate hearts finally found their home again. With widened eyes, Natsume stares at the more-than-familiar white beast before him. Clenching his fist with all the emotions that welled up inside him, Rikuo grits his teeth and jumps towards Zen the moment his eyes catch him.

" Riku--"

His words were cut with Rikuo's flying body even before he could say anything.

" Zen!! "

And he landed safely in Zen's arms.

" Wh-whoa, calm down, Rikuo. I'm fine, I'm fine, no need to worry like that. "

Zen said. In truth, he couldn't deny the fact about his weak body. He thought it must be excruciating for Rikuo to see his sworn brother fall off the cliff and be like this.

But it seems Zen is wrong on one thing after all.

" Zen! You are not weak! Rather than a weakling, you are far more powerful... even than me..."

Rikuo, curling up his back a little at him, said it without looking over at Zen.

" It embarrasses me to say this... but remember? When I got beaten up badly by Tsuchigumo in Kyoto, and I was getting impatient with my weakness, which ended up hurting my own body stupidly...? At that time, Zen, you were the only one who enlightened me and patiently tended my wounds. Despite the humiliating scenery you had seen, of me being weak both in heart and body, you were still determined not to leave my side and on top of that--"

" We performed Matoi for the first time. "

Zen grinned confidently.

And that is when Rikuo's vision has never been as clear as before. Everything feels more evident. In fact he feels that he can see the world more clearly with Zen, even without his glasses.

" Yes... I'm so glad, Zen, to have you beside me. "

Rikuo smiled sheepishly and almost couldn't stop the tears hiding behind his glass reflection.