Chapter 16

(I updated from chapter 14 so if you haven't read it then please go back to read it :))

For some reason I wake up somewhere that isn't the gym. I sit up and look around, recognizing the infirmary.

I scrunch my eyebrows together and go to rub my sore forehead, pulling it away quickly when I feel a bandage.

"Welcome back pumpkin, glad you weren't out for too long." A voice calls from behind me. Before I can move the good looking nurse came around to the side I was facing.

"If you don't remember, my name is Dr Sean Green. Do you know why you're in here?" I shake my head and he smiles a little. "Well, can you tell me what you last remember happening?"

I think back to gym and open my mouth to tell him about playing netball. When I try to speak I wince in pain, hands flying up to my throat.

"Do you need some water Sweetie?" He asks passing me the cup, concern written in his face. I sip some of the drink before trying again, still it doesn't work. If it was that easy to regain my voice I wouldn't have been silent the past few days.

"Can I take a look at your throat to see what's wrong?" He asks with a frown. My eyes widen and I can't think of a way out of it. Hesitantly I nod and open my mouth.

He takes a step closer, pulling a small light out of his coat pocket and shining it around my mouth.

"Pookie why is your throat trying to heal itself from being burnt?" He sounds angry. I look at his face and he looks angry.

Oh no he looks stronger then mother, this is going to hurt so much more.

I feel my chin start to wobble and my vision goes fuzzy the way it can only do before you let the tears loose.

I scoot backwards further onto the bed, trying to be out of the mans reach.

It'll hurt it'll hurt it'll hurt so so so much more then mother. He's going to hurt me. Why couldn't I wake up in the nice librarians house. Why couldn't she be the one to question my lack of a voice and find out about mother and take me home to live with her.

Why couldn't I be one of the other Sangs.

I've pulled my legs up and buried my face in my knees, trying to curl up up up and out of reach. Somehow arms are enveloping me and a nice smelling smell is surrounding me and a voice is whispering calming things into my left ear.

I breath deeply in an attempt to calm down and to gain enough control over my thoughts to question whose hands are rubbing my back in the softest touch I've ever experienced. To question why the air smells different. To question the sound of breathing so close to my ear.

I open my still blurt eyes to see Dr Greens hair and back and he leans one knee against the side of the bend and reaches across to pull my small frame into his chest. He's breathing evenly despite my knees pressing into his chest.

I blink and blink. Is this what a hug feels like? Why didn't he just leave?

I'm sure that if anyone looked they'd be able to see the confusion written over my face as Dr Greens hands continue rubbing my back, the intent of hurting me seems to be absent from the touch.

Why?

He pulls back, wiping a tear from his check. Why was he crying? Did I do something bad? I haven't made someone cry before! What am I meant to do?!

"I'm sorry I got angry Pookie, I'm so sorry." I stare up at him, wide eyed and confused. I nod slowly when he doesn't continue and he smiles at me.

I hear movement from behind him and see someone else.

"Sean, I fetched a notebook for Miss Sorenson to use."

"Thanks Owen, Sang would you mind telling us what happened with your writing?"

I nod slowly and write fine what I was originally going to say- about practicing with that girl.

"It seems that you collapsed at this point and you were brought here. Could you tell me why you're bruised, we can help."

My eyes widen and I look between them. I quickly write down that I'm fine and stand picking up my bag.

"Sang wait!" The doctor calls after me but I just continue out that door.

They'll abandon you Sang

They'll take you and rape you and leave you to die

I shake my head to clear my mothers cruel words from my mind, hesitating in surprise when I see seven familiar boys sitting against the wall. I look down before they can make eye contact and run as quickly as I can out of the school doors.

I need to get home before Mother notices I'm gone.

Despite running most of the way she still notices and that is how I find myself kneeling, again.