Chapter 19

I couldn't remember if Uncle Taylor had a first name, so I googled it but all I could find was his last name. I've made up a name for him, but if anyone knows a name from the actual book series, a comment would be appreciated! xD

Oh, I've got exams the next two weeks so either I'm warning you know, I'm either going to update loads due to procrastination or not for the next month... Just a heads up :)

Despite Dr Green's attempts at lighthearted conversation, neither of us respond. This Owen guy, I don't know why- but I physically can't speak. Even without the burn in my throat, I'm still in shock over what my parents did.

Parents aren't meant to actually send their kids away.

We drive for who knows how long before pulling up to a large olden style house with some trailers out the front. This is not the school on the brochure. 

"Come on Pookie, we're here." Dr Green says in an overly happy tone as he opens my door. I glare at him with my arms crossed. I know I'm about to die, but it isn't as if I'm about to make it easy for them. They must've not told the school I was coming, just so they could trick my parents into letting me leave with them. But why would they want to kill me? Is it because I wouldn't tell them what happened?

Owen sighs, walking to the door without looking back to see if either of us are following. His aura of perfection doesn't sit well with me, why should I feel the need to comply to someone who already has everything?

Dr Green sighs, before leaning against the back of the car, next to the door frame which is still holding my open door.

"Come on Pookie, we don't bite." He sings, still smiling, waiting for me to get out on my own.

I shake my head, hands protectively held over the button for the seatbelt so they can't force me out of the car. Owen returns with a man, in his early forties I'd say.

"Miss Sorenson, this is Uncle, you will be living with him from now on." 

I just raise an eyebrow. Who's name is Uncle? I'm pretty sure he isn't related to me...

"Hello, Sang isn't it? I'm Henry Taylor, but these boys call me Uncle. Please, call me whatever makes you the most comfortable- just not Mr Taylor, makes me feel old." The man smiles at me kindly, seeming as if he is another kind person- like the librarian.

I smile hesitantly at him, looking between the boys. 

"I heard you're friends with my nephews and needed a place to stay?" I shake my head, eyebrows furrowed.

"She can't talk Uncle, that's why we brought her." Dr Green says with a frown when the man doesn't say anything.

He signs to me 'can you understand?'. I grin widely before signing back to him. I hardly ever meet anyone who shares this skill, and when I do it is always a good occasion to practice my skills. 

He asks if I know his nephews again, I tell him no. He didn't give me a name so I can never be told. Henry glares at the boys and I reach out to tap his shoulder quickly before pulling back into the car.

'why aren't I at that school, the Academy?'

'why would you be going to the academy dear?'

'they told my parents that I got into a boarding school and we aren't at the place in the picture.'

"Why is Sang here under the impression that she will be attending a boarding school when you told me you brought her out of a bad situation willingly and with the knowledge she would be staying with me?" Henry sounds angry, but a different type of angry to what I normally hear. He sounds like he is angry for me, like he is on my side. Dare I say he is protecting me?

"We had to get her out but she didn't trust us- they made her drink something that burnt her throat so much she can't even speak! Who knows what permanent damage they've given her that we don't know about! Luke saw her kneeling for hours just yesterday!" Sean seems to let loose some pent up emotions, scaring me slightly.

'why was Luke at my house?' I sign, Henry seeing.

"Exactly Sang, why was my nephew spying on this girl? Sang, do you want me to take you back home?"

My eyes widen and I shake my head slightly. If she had gotten a taste of life where I'm not there, who knows what she'll do with me if I go back. 

"Will you come inside then dear? I'll make you some tea to sooth your throat and we can interrogate these boys." He grins at me when he asks, hand out to assist me out of the seat. I don't make eye contact with Owen or Dr Green as I undo my belt and hesitantly climb out of the vehicle, stepping around Henry to a space where no one is standing close to me.

He smiles at me and motions to the house, "I'm renovating some of the rooms and most of these trailers, I can show you how later if you'd like?"

I nod, wide eyed.

I don't notice but the two boys are behind us with my suitcase and backpack, carrying them into the entrance of the house and leaving them by the door.

We move forward into the house, 

He sits me down in a large armchair, which i sink into, legs dangling over the end. Henry comes back with the boys minutes later, carrying two cups of tea. 

"I put some honey into yours to help with your throat." I smile a little at him, accepting the drink and taking a sip, it wasn't too hot and didn't hurt to drink. 

"Owen, you better start from the beginning and tell me what happened to bring her to my doorstep without knowing it." Owen goes a little red, something I somehow know isn't common for him, and clears his throat before he started.

"The team has been working in the high school, that much you are aware of. Miss Sorenson and her family moved in across from Mr Lee, and each of my team members have become involved with her. It was brought to my attention that she needed our help, and when investigated it was clear that immediate action was to be taken. We offered her a fake scholarship, although with the result she received she could've won a real one if it was on offer. We told her parents she got into a prestigious boarding school earlier today, and took her here."

"May I ask why you didn't inform her?"

"..."

"Owen, speechless, what a once in a lifetime event!"

"S So there isn't a a boarding sch school?" I croak softly, the two boys looking at me with guilty eyes.

"I'm sorry Miss Sorenson."

"Pookie, you've got to understand that we just wanted to help."

"B But you L lie."