28- Caged Bird

🔝 you really have to listen to the song to get what's going on. If you wanna know what happened in Bill's dream anyway...

*might want to listen before reading, and pay attention to the lines

Ford POV
Bill hasn't moved since he woke up. We tried to ask him some questions, but he would hardly speak. Occasionally he would mutter apologies to no one in particular, but that was it. He didn't eat or sleep, although the only thing that does to a demon is make him look dangerously skinny after a while.

I sit at my work bench, repairing a weapon, until I hear a small sniffling noise from Bill's cell. I walk over and see that he is laying on his bed, staring at the ceiling like usual. Only now his hands are covering his head and he seems to be... Crying? He shuffles around a little, like he's experiencing a nightmare. After a while he takes a sharp intake of air and sits up. Tears run down his face as he says,
"Everything will be alright." He sort of chuckles at his own words and rocks back and forth. "I'll avenge my lover tonight." He suddenly shouts. I raise the level of the power demobilizer, worried he might try something. I continue to watch as suddenly, he starts to sing.

Kiss it all better,
I'm not ready to go.
It's not your fault love,
You didn't know,
You didn't know.

He falls to the floor and rocks back and forth sobbing. His head is shaking and I think he might be dreaming, but then again he doesn't sleep. It must be a memory.

Stay with me,
Until I fall asleep,
Stay with me.

Stay with me,
Until I fall a asleep,
Stay with me.

He starts repeating, starting from a whisper and each one getting louder. Despite my demobilizers, flames raise from him and lick at the walls. I turn my devise almost all the way up, just enough for him not to pass out. But the flames survive.

Stay with me,
Until I fall asleep,
Stay with me.

Stay with me,
until I fall asleep,
Stay with me!

He's yelling and sobbing roughly now, trying, but half failing to breath.

Kiss it all better,
I'm not ready to go.
It's not your fault love,
You didn't know,
You didn't know.

I try to make sense of his words but I  can't, it's like he's telling two sides of a story.

Stay with me,
Until I fall asleep,
Stay with me.

Stay with me,
Until I fall a asleep,
Stay with me.

The flames keep fighting, but are starting to die. He, like the flames, is reaching an end.

Stay with me,
Until I fall asleep,
Stay with me.

Stay with me,
Until I fall a asleep,
Stay with me.

With that he collapses in tears, he looks broken. I'm lost, my confusion only building.Has he finally gone mad?

Stan's POV
Mabel rushes by me in the gift shop, waving her phone in the air and calling for me to come with her. I follow her down the stairs to Ford's lab, where he is standing dumbfounded in front of Bill's cell.

"Ford, Ford!" Mabel yells, running up to him. "I have to show you something, it's about Dipper."

I walk up curiously and watch as she pulls up a video on her phone.

"I have a similar conundrum to share with you too, about Bill." Ford says, rewinding the security footage of Bill from a few minutes earlier.

The two press play and watch each other's footage. I start to see the similarities with the two, then something clicks in my mind like a puzzle fitting together.

"Hold on," I interrupt, taking control of the footage. "Restart the video of Dipper, Mabel." She does as I say and I press play on the video of Bill.

Just like I predicted, the songs fit together. Each note and beat complimenting each other. I look into the containment chamber and see that Bill is rocking back and forth, crying. He reminds me of a caged bird somehow.

This whole time I've been thinking in the back of my head that forcing these two apart was wrong, but I pushed those thoughts away because Ford and Mabel were so convinced that what Dipper and Bill had was wrong. I thought that I should just stay quiet, Ford was always right about everything and Mabel of all people should know what's best for her twin. But I was right all along. Whatever that poison made them see, it caused Bill to break down and Dipper to give up; things I never thought aether could ever do. Without each other they lose some of their biggest strengths.

I don't know much about love or anything like that, but it doesn't take a genius to see that they are each other's strengths. They are meant for each other, even if they didn't know before they know now. Even if Bill may have done some questionable things in the past, it was always just business. I of all people should understand that.

"Good work Stanley!" Ford pats me on the back. "It seems you've discovered a similarity in the two. This can help us greatly!" He seems so excited, so is Mabel.

But why? How can they listen to these two people practically pour there hearts out in the saddest way possible and ignore it!

I nod to the two and leave back up stairs, they hardly notice as Ford goes off about how he thinks this is a good sign. I walk up another flight of stairs and make my way to the attic. When I finally get there, a little winded after all those stairs, I silently open the door to see Dipper.

He's curled up in a ball crying his eyes out on the window sill, Mabel had just left him there. The image breaks my heart even more. He doesn't notice me as I stare at him in sorrow, thinking about what I should do.

There's only one thing I can do. It runs through my head as I think up a plan.

I regret letting Mabel take control of Dipper the way she did, I didn't want to, but she convinced me. She said that Dipper wasn't mentally well, and she was right, but when I saw him with Bill it changed everything. He smiled a real smile and had a glow to his skin, not because Mabel was forcing him to do as she says. Because he was happy. That's all I want for the both of them, to be happy and free.

I know what I need to do.

I need to set them free.

Like caged birds.

Wooooooow, emotional chapter am I right?! Can you even handle this suspen...
🐿