Chapter Forty One -Testing the Waters-

Enjoy~ (O///~///O)

Editing completed 9/7/2017

             •~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

"Another bill? He's getting desperate alright."

Prince Levi examined yet another bill sent from Eren. Another charge for keeping horses on Eren's land. Time to put Hanji's plan into action.

"I thought he was only going to charge me at the end of each month... seems I was wrong."

Jean lowered his head and sighed loudly, clearly frustrated and distressed over borrowing such large sums of money from Prince Levi.

Poor Jean... we didn't exactly warn him about Eren's contracts... we sort of forgot... not to mention Eren's forcing me to flee after Prince Levi's coronation.

Armin truly did shock me. I didn't expect him to inform Prince Eren of what he saw. I viewed him as a friend... now... now I don't know what to think.

"Hanji formed a plan. I'll pay the money, but slightly under the normal amount. I think three hundred less seems like a normal mistake."

I watched as Prince Levi wrote the incorrect cheque and handed the paper to Jean - who reluctantly accepted.

"You're going to underpay? Like some sort of test?"

The Prince nodded his head a single time and crossed his legs. A fearsome pose upon his golden throne. Soon he'll be the King. I felt my head instinctively lower - yielding to his blatant authority.

"That's correct. We'll test the waters that way. Maybe even get a glimpse into his punishments for not paying the correct amount."

Jean frowned, clearly uneasy about our plan. I think the plan is a good idea. Hanji created it after all... she's really clever.

"I don't like the sound of that... what if he destroys my stables?"

Prince Levi clicked his tongue, crossing his arms with a sharp glare. Such a strong presence... I find myself believing the words he spoke to me earlier about his rule as King.

"If he destroys the shitty stables you'll have no reason to remain in a contact with him. We have no choice but to wait and see."

Jean nodded, slightly relieved over the fact his new, expensive stables - owned by Prince Eren - wouldn't be destroyed. Even I feel slightly worried.

"I'm grateful to you, Levi. I'll repay you for your troubles."

The Prince chuckled deeply, neatening his pristine white cravat. I noticed Jean's visit had lifted Prince Levi's spirits- he looked more at ease. I'm glad...

"Hah? Repay me? You'd be dead before you could gather even a quarter of the sums I've paid."

Jean looked displeased, clenching his fists. I felt my fingertips graze the hilt of my red cloth sword - just in case Jean's emotions got the better of him. I know the Prince enjoys provoking people.

"There are others ways I'll repay you. I'm sure of it. I'll offer advice, care, companionship - you name it."

Prince Levi looked impressed, nodding his head with a soft smirk. Seems their friendship is strong... even stronger than before.