twelve | one in the morning

As the dark enveloped me, I couldn't help but sigh deeply, spreading my legs out in front of me before laying my back uncomfortably on the roof. My eyes stared out into the night sky, wishing for a wishing star to shoot pass so I could make a simple wish but instead, the small stars painted above me only twinkled in amusement.

It has been hours since Ashton dropped me back at school to collect my car. We then went our separate ways seeing as he needed to meet Landon at his place whilst I just said that I needed to get home to see my parents.

I had lied, obviously.

My parents were still on their vacation.

My phone dinged, signifying that a message came through. I sighed and picked up my phone before lifting it in front of my face, crossing my legs.

Jiao bitch: Where were you, Luna?

Gorgeous Luna: Skipped school. Wasn't feeling it.

Jiao bitch: So it's a coincidence that both you and Ashton skipped school? Secretly dating?

Gorgeous Luna: No, J. We're not, I swear on my parents' life. By the way, what happened with Mrs Waldroop?

Jiao bitch: Suspended for two weeks. My parents grounded me which means they took all my shit. Little do they know, I have a backup phone, duh.

Gorgeous Luna: I'll talk to you later, okay?

Jiao bitch: I'm always here if you need me. Kisses.

Gorgeous Luna: I know, love you.

Suddenly, a lump rose in my throat as I swiftly sat up, burying my face in my hands in an attempt to jump into oblivion. My eyes stung with fresh and unshed tears as I let out a shaky breath in the night, cold air before wrapping my hoodie around my body tighter.

Ashton's hoodie.

I wondered why my parents have left and why they didn't chase after me. I didn't even receive missed calls from them. Not even one. It depressed me so much that back then, I used to think I was my father's favourite child. No, he pretended that I was because he felt bad. He pitied me. I didn't need their pity, I was their child for goodness sakes.

Dakota was their golden child.

I didn't blame them though. She was a girl that every parent wanted their daughters to turn out to be like. To have an intelligent mind like hers and a good-girl personality so they didn't have to worry about bailing them out of jail or dealing with their issues.

I was the definition of a bad girl.

Hell, I wasn't ashamed of it though. I had the freedom to do what the hell I wanted to do. But I also thought it was my parents who created a monster like me. What is a girl without their parents' love anyway?

My phone dinged again as I looked down and glanced at the message.

Ashes to Ashton: Just wanted to check up on you. You alright?

I frowned and glanced around the dark, wondering how he knew how I felt when we were only miles apart.

Gorgeous Luna: Wtf. I'm fine, why would you even ask?

Ashes to Ashton: That's what they all say. Come on, what's wrong?

A tear slid down my cheek as I left the message on read, my eyes rereading the sentence all over again. My chest constricted achingly and my heart drummed against my chest in pain as I struggled to regain my breaths. I inhaled a shaky breath before wiping the tear away with the back of my hand. I decided to leave the message alone as I threw my phone aside before laying back onto the roof, blinking back the uncontrollable tears away.