twenty | i can survive my whole entire life without it

{Thank you to @LizbethThePanda for supporting me on this novel and by showing me that you love it! And I also want to thank you for supporting me on my other novels too! I really appreciate it! Thank you so much! This chapter is for you!}

"Aurora!" I heard my father's voice bounce against the walls from downstairs as I sighed before sitting upright on my bed, exhaustion washing over me like rough tides.

I skipped school, again. And the only reason was that I didn't want to see Ashton. Ever. I had texted Jiao what had happened yesterday and she had also informed me that during the week, she had two figures that looked exactly like them but she wasn't sure if it was Ashton and Ruby. Now she was sure.

I had managed to come home and welcomed oblivion in the afternoon after treating myself to some ice cream and spoiling myself. What I didn't expect was to sleep throughout the rest of the day.

I sighed heavily, feeling exhausted even after a good rest. No, I was mentally exhausted. I shook my head slightly in an attempt to chase away an oncoming headache before rolling my shoulders back as I slipped out of my room and descended the stairs with ease.

"Yes, father?" I questioned just as I stepped inside his office. I was completely drained which meant I was not bothered to fight with my parents.

My father looked much tanner after his vacation. He looked much brighter than he usually was. He looked much more vibrant than he ever did. He frowned before gesturing towards the seat in front of the table.

I took a seat without a word.

He seemed surprised by my quietness. "Your mother and I didn't see you when we came home."

I stared at him blankly. "I went out and was exhausted so I went to bed."

He nodded slowly, seeming confused. "Well, your mother bought you gifts from our vacation."

I nodded, feeling a part of my soul drained as my heart wasn't into our conversation. I honestly thought a part of me had already died long ago.

He sighed heavily before running a hand through his hair. "Aurora, we love you. You are our daughter and we have always loved you from the beginning. It's just...it's been tough on us. Every night, we would wonder where we went wrong because you've grown into a person that...a person we didn't raise you to be."

I clenched my jaw as I sighed heavily, my eyes feeling heavy. I wasn't in the mood to argue with him. I really wasn't. I just...needed a break from home, from friends, from this life. "I'm not going to apologise to you for the person I've become. I love myself just the way I am and you and mother are just going to have to accept it."

I watched my father clench his jaw in frustration as he released a shaky breath. "Aurora, we love you for who you are."

I laughed humourlessly, my empty stomach screaming at me. "You have a funny way of showing it."

"Your mother-"

I scoffed, averting my eyes away from his. "It's fine, father. I love myself enough for the three of you. Give Dakota your love. No, shower her with your love."

My father raised an eyebrow in confusion as I rose from my seat and clenched my fist. I was on the verge of breaking. I didn't know why. I just couldn't handle it anymore. "I'm leaving."