thirty-four | the approval

"You said yes when I asked you to go on a date!" Ashton whined as he followed me down the stairs of his own home and into the kitchen.

I had woken up to him screaming at his flat screen TV to only find him playing video games. I had thrown a pillow at him to let him know that I was awake but the only attention I got was a nod of acknowledgement. These video games were seriously stealing people's boyfriends AND girlfriends away.

"That was before you didn't acknowledge that I was awake and ready to have your full attention!" I exclaimed in protest as I found Millicent and Cayden, watching us from the other end of the room.

"Okay, seriously?" Ashton questioned with a frown on his face. "You're going to cancel our date tomorrow because I didn't give you attention five seconds ago?"

I smirked, knowing that I was pissing him off. "Yes."

Ashton opened his mouth to say something but Millicent and Cayden bursted out in laughter as they doubled over, slamming their hands in the countertops. Ashton turned over to his siblings and glared at them. "What's so funny?"

"You guys are acting like an actual couple," Cayden commented, wiping a stray tear.

I poked my tongue out at him. "If he wants me as his girlfriend, I'm going to act like a girlfriend."

Ashton turned his pleading eyes to his sister. "Millie, please help me out here. Is there a double meaning behind this?"

She shook her head in amusement. "Figure it out, brother."

Ashton pouted his lips before pulling me into a hug. "I'm sorry I didn't give you attention when you woke up."

I almost chuckled, finding his act almost adorable. "I was kidding, my love."

My love. Those words had completely slipped out of my lips. I mentally smacked myself on my head.

Ashton pulled back and stared at me with wide eyes, excitement dancing in them as I blushed at what I had just said. He took a step back from me with his head down as I watched in confusion. He made his way towards his brother who also watched him in confusion and before the three of us knew it, Ashton began to throw punches at Cayden's biceps, whooping with a big grin on his face.

"Did you hear that?" Ashton exclaimed in excitement.

I couldn't help but stare in awe.

"You look ridiculous," Cayden pointed out with a bright smile that met his eyes. "I'm glad you're happy, Ash. She would've wanted this for you."

I knew who they were referring to.

Kahlilah.

The light atmosphere seemed to cease and the heavy one began to settle in as I watched Cayden's and Ashton's face transform into a blank expression, Millicent clearing her throat. I frowned and turned my head to see Ashton's mother walking inside the kitchen, a blank expression on her face as she eyed me down.

"Ah, Miss Steele," she said with a small nod of acknowledgement. "I see you're here again."

I offered a small smile. A very small one. "You're looking well, today." I wasn't lying.

Ashton's mother shrugged before offering a kiss on Millicent's cheek as she strolled to the fridge. I felt Ashton stiffen beside me, as if not knowing what to do and if a pin had dropped right now, it would've been louder than anything else. As Ashton's mother walked away with a bottle of orange juice in her hand, I felt Ashton sigh in relief.