twenty-six | part two

{Ashton's POV}

After dropping Aurora off at home where Dakota had stayed out in the chilly night for at least half an hour in only her nightgown with a black cardigan over her shoulders, her face flooded with relief at the sight of her older sister in my arms.

Dakota loved Aurora. A lot.

Aurora just couldn't see it.

"Dude," I heard Cayden say, snapping me out of my own thoughts as he patted me on the back hard, Millicent following behind with a beam on her face.

I leant back in my chair and crossed my arms over my chest as I examined my sister's beam, her blue eyes unusually sparkling. I almost smiled at her own happiness. "Millie, did someone satisfy you?"

Millie tucked a hair behind her ear and blushed as suspicions raised when she didn't decode my message with a dirty mind. I haven't seen her smile like that in a really long time. The last time I saw her smile like that was when I was...well, a very long time ago. "Oh, you know...I just woke up with a good mindset."

Cayden and I glanced at each other briefly, scoffing before we took a stand at her side and crossed our arms over her chest, looking down at her since she was an inch shorter than us both.

"Who is he?" Cayden questioned, a smirk crawling onto his lips as Millie giggled like a little girl. I couldn't help but admire her smile.

"I met him at work," she answered quietly, scratching the back of her neck nervously as her eyes darted around the room as if to see anyone was eavesdropping.

Cayden and I gasped instinctively, taking a step back before glancing at each other. I blinked a few times before looking back down at Millie who blushed.

"You have...a part-time job?" I questioned slowly, her words slowly processing inside my head as I imagined her actually doing something with her own hands.

Millicent was known to be supportive and active. She would do anything like charity work but I remembered she had promised herself she wouldn't get a part-time job seeing as our parents provided her wants and needs. And besides, our father didn't like it if we ever got part-time jobs seeing as he would see that as damaging our family name and reputation.

"Does father know?" Cayden questioned, his smirk flying away as his eyebrows narrowed in on her.

Millie shook her head, shrugging. "I don't know what's the big deal, though. He would obviously pass the company down to you, Cayden."

"Well, who says I was going forward with father's plans? If you and I don't want it then it's obviously going to Ashton," Cayden pointed out, shaking his head slightly.

My jaw dropped in horror. I didn't want to become the man my father was today. I'd pick to be Ruby's little dog over anything that had to do with my father and his lame company. Well, the lame company that literally made us wealthy as Hell. "No. Definitely not me. Besides, Cayden, it's time he finally steps down from his title seeing as he's a crinkly old man."

"Bro, have you seen his wrinkles yet?" Cayden questioned as he snickered in delight at insulting our old man.

"Oh my goodness, they're like grandma's ass," Millie added as the three of us threw our heads back and laughed.