Bad Day Turned Good -Sebastian Stan

You're having the absolute worst day of your life. You've just been fired from your job over an issue that was definitely not your fault, and you just realized you left your wallet at home, meaning you have to trudge all the way back to your apartment with a box of your things instead of taking a cab like you wanted to.

You feel like you're two seconds away from bursting into tears, so you shove your headphones into your ears and start heading to your apartment. The minute you step outside with your box, the clouds open up and it starts pouring down rain.

"Of fucking course." You say out loud, a semi-hysterical laugh leaving your mouth. It turns into a sob, though, as your shoulders slump.

"Are you okay?" A voice asks, and you glance up to see a man with an umbrella looking at you, concerned.

"F-fine," you mumble, embarrassed.

"No offense, but you don't look fine." He says, and when you blink in response, his eyes widen. "Not that you don't look fine! I just mean– you look upset."

You can't help but smile softly at him as he gets flustered. "I'm just having a bad day. I'll be fine."

He returns your smile, a faint blush on his cheeks. "Are you going very far?" He asks, gesturing towards the box in your hands. "No free hand for an umbrella."

"Just a few blocks. I'll probably get a cab."

He makes a face. "Don't pay for a cab. I'll walk you. My umbrella is big enough." He hesitates after he offers. "I mean, if that's okay. You can say no."

You can't remember the last time a cute guy paid any attention to you, and after the day you've had, your ego could do with some attention. He seems nice and if he turns out to be a creep, you've got a pretty hefty stapler in your box you could threaten him with, you think. The thought makes you bite back a laugh.

"That would be great," you tell him. "Thanks."

He introduces himself as Sebastian as you start walking, and though you're momentarily flustered by the proximity as you join him under his umbrella, you get over it quickly as you get to talking.

He tells you he's an actor and you explain why you were so upset when he walked passed you today. He makes a sympathetic noise but doesn't ask too many questions - he just lets you talk and get all your frustrations out.

You're at your apartment in no time, and you feel kind of sad about it. You can't remember the last time you felt so comfortable talking to someone. "This is me," you say, gesturing to your building.

He waits until you're under the awning before he closes his umbrella, smiling at you. "Look, I know we don't know each other, but I don't think you're going to be out of work for long. You seem like a girl that knows what she wants."

You blush. "Thanks, Sebastian. I'll be looking for your name on the news." You joke, and he laughs.

"Take care, okay?" He says, and you nod, smiling. He opens up his umbrella again, and with a wink, he heads back down the street.

You watch him go, kicking yourself for not asking for his number.

A few months later, you're talking to your best friend from high school on the phone via your headphones as you navigate the busy streets. It's a beautiful day outside and you have nowhere to be, so you've been out walking the streets and going to the park near your apartment for most of the day.

Feeling the sun start to get to you, you decide to walk to one of your favorite cafes for a smoothie before heading home to do some chores. You get there in a few minutes, telling your friend about your latest conversation with your publisher - after you were fired from your job as a copy editor, you finally found the courage to pursue writing your own novel. You pitched it to a company where you had some contacts and were working on your first draft.