Our Story - Jefferson

You held tight to the cape around your shoulders as you walked through the woods, back to your house. You saw Grace playing outside, her stuffed rabbit in hand. Smiling to yourself, you decided not to worry her about what had just happened. Ever since those strange people came to visit, things had started to change.

The girl who called herself Emma had said that they came from a different world. That you knew to be true, but you still didn't understand how. With them, they brought a strange piece of machinery and many different styles of clothing. When you took them in, you nearly fainted.

Today, you almost fainted again. You were collecting wood for your fire, when one of the boys, barely older than Grace, came up to you. He introduced himself as Henry and immediately began asking you questions about your life. When he was finished, he left you with one ominous timing.

"Someone's trying to change your story, be careful." He ran off again before you could ask what he meant. You hightailed it back to your home, hoping to talk to Jefferson. You dropped your cloak once you came in your kitchen, and got used to the coldness of just wearing a dress.

Jefferson came home about ten minutes later and smiled at you happily. You smiled, too, just less than his. You stood up as he walked towards you, and placed affectionate kisses across your face.

"Hello, love," he said.

"Hi!" Grace ran in and rushed into her father's arms. He picked her up, and grinned at her, too.

"How are my two gorgeous girls?" he asked. Grace beamed back at him and started telling him stories of her day. You listened and nodded along. Jefferson would look over at you ever few minutes, and you would smile at him. He could clearly tell that something was bothering you, so he asked Grace to run off to her room and get a tea party set up. She smiled happily and rushed to the top of the stairs.

"What's wrong?" he asked, looking at you seriously. He was frowning now. You took a deep breath and he reached for your hand, rubbing it softly with his thumb.

"Someone came up to me today. One of the boys from the other world. He told me to be careful because someone is trying to change my story." Jefferson furrowed up his brow.

"What does that mean?" he asked.

"I don't know, but he seemed really worried about it." He nodded and thought for a moment.

"Well, let's find out. Get your cloak."

"What? Right now?"

"Yes. I have seen things that should be impossible, inside this hat. I have seen dark, strange magic. If this boy says you are in danger, I will take him at his word. I don't want any harm coming to you," he said, cupping your cheeks. You gave into his hand and smiled. He felt warm and safe.

You packed up a few provisions while Jefferson went to take Grace to the neighbors. He promised that you would be back in a few days. He came back and picked up your bag. You put on your cloaks, and you were off. He didn't really have a place in mind, but knew that if you found the strange people, you would find your answer.

For a day, you just traveled. You slept on a hard, rocky floor, and then started walking the next day. It was nearly nightfall when you stumbled across the group. They were setting up tents of their own and smiled when you walked up.

"Hello," one of the men said, a charming smile spreading across his face.

"Hello," you said. Jefferson nodded politely.

"What can we do for you?" a woman, with raven black hair asked. You and Jefferson exchanged a look, coming to the agreement that you could probably trust these people.