Bucky Barnes ; Asking Steve About You

"There's something I've been meaning to ask you." Bucky's mouth twitched as he thought of you, the memories had slowly but surely entered his brain from time to time with thoughts of you. He'd lie awake, replaying the ones he remembered. Almost forgetting to fall asleep because it felt so real to see you in his thoughts.

Steve gave Bucky his undivided attention, always willing to help him. He had been making progress and he was overjoyed that Bucky was talking more and becoming more socially active. "Shoot, buddy."

His mouth became dry as he spoke your name, "Y/n," he flinched as his voice cracked with such a simple stroke of his voice. Bucky hadn't actually said your name since you resonated in his mind. He was afraid to but now he was desperate to know what happened to you and if you hated him for not coming back.

Steve inhaled sharply, sucking in his cheeks as he held onto Bucky's gaze. He ran a hand through his blonde hair, not needing Bucky to go into detail of what he wanted to know. He'd want to hear it all. "Y/n," he repeated. He placed his hands on his hips, looking up towards the ceiling as he relived the depressing moments of having to tell you that Bucky had died during combat.

"It took her awhile to move on. But, she did. I think she lost a part of herself that day when I told her what happened. She was never the same y/n, after that. She was never our y/n, again. But, she moved on. Got married, became a nurse, and had a few children." Pursing his lips, he swallowed hard, "I had SHIELD look up her files when I came to from the ice and she lived a very good life, as good as she could without you. But there's something you should know, Buck." Steve almost didn't want to share the information he knew, but he had to. This was Bucky, his best friend since childhood. The only person in the world that he knew inside and out and could lean on when things became too much.

Bucky had listened to his words, relishing in the fact that you lived your life. He was happy to know that you didn't spend the entirety of your life just secluded from the world. That's all he'd ever want for you, was to have a life. To experience it whether it was with him or not. He only wanted what was best for you. "Yeah?" He croaked out.

Steve's jaw clenched, the muscles rippling along his jawline as he prepared to lay down some heavy information. He pressed his lips together, a long, heavy sigh coming from his nose. "This may have been partially why she couldn't move on as quickly as she could have," he paused, really regretting having to dish this out. Steve was hoping that Bucky never remembered you only because the sadness that would follow suit. "She became pregnant after we left for the HYDRA bases, after I rescued you from Azzano."

Bucky stood silent, his body frozen in time. It was no secret that it was frowned upon to engage in sexual activity before marriage back then and for the most part Bucky adhered to it. Every now and again, he'd find a girl who was more than willing to give it up and he'd take it. And then you came into his life, all those girls he had woo'd over didn't mean a thing. He was all about you. All about your spunky, witty self.

After returning back to the city from being rescued and having been experimented on, all Bucky wanted was to hold you close. To feel your skin against his. In reality, he wanted to make love to you at least once so that when he knew he was going to die out on the battlefield; he at least got to experience your body and could die knowing that he had your purity tucked away in his heart.

"Pregnant," he repeated as his heart shattered. He nodded his head, of course he would curse her with his seed.

Steve could see his friend breaking. "If it's any constellation, he helped her."

"He?"

Nodding, Steve pulled his hands from his hips. "Yeah, named after his father. Although the Bucky part never stuck, I'm sure it was a little painful to have to call her son that but his name was James. I got to meet the fella once, she even asked me to look out for him if anything ever happened. He looked like you." Steve started to whisper, knowing this was too much for Bucky. "Even followed in your footsteps."

"Is he alive?" Bucky tried to do the math, his son would have to be in his early seventies by now.

"When I said followed in your footsteps, I meant it in every way." Steve spoke softly. "I'm kind of glad I wasn't around for that one." Swallowing hard, he placed a hand on Bucky's shoulder, "Y/n never stopped loving you, that's a given. She never hated you for leaving because she knew this was your duty and she knew that you wanted to follow suit in your father's footsteps. She understood the possibilities of dating a soldier. Don't ever forget what she told you, that she'll find you in the next life. Who knows, Buck. She might be out there, now. It's a new life and y/n was always good at keeping her promises."