Bucky Barnes ; Date Me?

You were walking home from your friend's house one summer evening, enjoying how the cool breeze brushed through your hair, fanning it over your face when your phone began to ring. Pulling your phone out of your pocket, you roll your eyes to see it's your older brother, Steve, calling you.

"Y/N, where are you? You said you'd be home an hour ago! Buck and I are tryna order take-out but that's a bit difficult to do when you're not here." The annoyance in his voice was almost palpable.

You rolled your eyes, shaking your head a little. "Jeez Steve, so I lost track of time, big deal! You know what I want anyway. I get the same thing every time." You said, a slight irritation burning in your voice.

"No I don't. You say this every time but I neve-"

Bucky's voice cuts Steve off, a small smile gracing your features at the sound of it. "She'll have a number 7, Steve. She always gets a number 7. Hurry up, Y/N, I'm getting hungry." He said, desperation ringing clear and you let out a small chuckle.

"I'm literally around the corner and if Steven got off the phone, he could hurry up and order." You replied, fighting back a fit of giggles when Steve muttered something about feeling like the younger sibling at times.

The line went dead and the smile that lit up your face when Bucky had spoken up had failed to leave. You knew you were going to have to do something about this soon. You couldn't keep pretending like you didn't have feelings for Bucky, it was starting to get ridiculous. The only problem is Steve.

Steve's always been protective of you, too protective for your liking. Every guy you brought home practically went through the Spanish Inquisition, and if that didn't scare them off, Steve would just have to look at them in a certain way, and they'd be running for the hills. Sometimes, if you were lucky, you even got the whole 'It's not you, it's me' speech, but you knew it was neither of you. It was Steve.

Steve's penchant for protecting you from almost any contact with guys meant you hadn't tried to date anyone in months, fearing the inevitable 'Why do you want to be with my sister?' 'If you break her heart, I'll personally hunt you down.' etc. That's what you hated, and even though you knew Steve obviously liked Bucky, you couldn't help worrying he'd have the same reaction. In fact, you knew he would not approve of you and Bucky dating because Bucky's had a history with girls and Steve knows all too much about that history.

You round the corner to your apartment building, greeting the receptionist at the desk before taking the elevator to your floor. You walk down the dark and slightly dingy corridor, pausing outside your apartment door and taking a deep breath, forcing the smile to leave your face.

Unlocking the door, you push it open quietly, hoping to arrive unnoticed, but of course that failed. As you were walking into the kitchen, your eyes met Bucky's stormy blues and your heart skipped a beat, the smile you tried so hard to wipe from your face falling back into place.

"Hi." You breathed, trying to focus on anything but the unsteady beating of your heart.

"Hi." He responded, his eyes not leaving yours as his lips curved up into a soft smile that mimicked yours.

You don't know what you were thinking, but knowing that Bucky felt the same way about you, you couldn't just stand at opposite ends of the room, so you closed the distance, taking hold of his hand in your own. "What are we gonna do about this?" You asked, your eyes darting down to look at his hand in yours.

"About what?" He asked, cocking his head to the side.

"Us. This... whatever this is. Sooner or later, Steve's gonna figure out that we like each other." You answered, your heart beating faster than before.