Bucky Barnes ; Mission Went Wrong

The sound of the quinjet landing on Stark Tower alerts you to the Bucky, Steve and Nat's arrival. To say you were excited to see them was an understatement. It had been two whole months since you'd seen the three of them and it felt weird to have spent so much time apart, especially from Bucky. Whilst you missed Steve and Nat whilst they were away, your heart ached to see Bucky again because he made you feel whole.

You leap up from the sofa in the common room, practically sprinting up the stairs to the docking station. When you got there, the first person you see if Steve, but he doesn't wear the look of relief that he usually does when returning from a long mission, he wears one of grave concern, his eyes never leaving the floor as he walks past. "Steve?" You ask, but it's like he didn't even hear you, let alone see you.

Nat follows shortly after, the same look of worry and fear etched onto her face as she walks towards you. Unlike Steve, she actually acknowledges your existence, pulling you in for a long, shaky hug as her muffled cries escape her lips. You pull away, brushing the hair out of her face and holding onto it as the tears continue to fall. "Nat, what is it?" You ask, your voice quavering slightly as she struggles to look you in the eyes. You glance back at the quinjet, expecting to see Bucky walking toward you both, but your eyes meet an empty hangar, your heart breaking a little. "Nat, where's Bucky?" You ask, your voice thick as you're barely able to get the words out.

"H-he did something s-stupid." She says, taking a shaky breath as she finally meets your eyes, prompting more tears to fall. "Whilst I was figh-fighting an assailant, he tried to help me. I-I should've had his back! I should've pro-protected him!" She says, her voice growing hysterical as she recounts what happened. "He was shot, multiple times. We had to get out of there."

"Nat, where is he?" You ask, barely managing to keep your voice level as your eyes begin to well up with tears.

"He's in the med bay. I'm so sorry (Y/N)!" She calls after me as you rush out of the docking station, almost tripping over countless times as you frantically bound down the stairs, heading straight towards the med bay.

When you get there, Steve's pacing outside, his arms folded across his chest as he bites his lip, occasionally glancing up towards the sign above the door that read 'Theatre in Use' lit up in red. You run up to Steve, not caring if he wanted to see you or not, and wrapped your arms around him, silent tears flowing down your cheeks. You feel Steve's arms unfold beneath you and wrap themselves around your shaking frame, gently smoothing back your hair in an attempt to calm you.

A loud buzzing noise pulls you from Steve's grasp, your eyes glancing up to see the sign was no longer glowing red. You felt your heart jump into your throat as the door opened and Dr Helen Cho stepped outside, her eyes deadly serious as she looked at the two of you. "He's critical but stable, the next few hours are crucial." She says, her words igniting hope inside of you.

"Can we see him?" You ask, your eyes pleading with her and she simply nods, heading down the corridor to inform the team of Bucky's condition.

"You go ahead. I'll wait out here." Steve says, resuming the position you found him in.

You push open the door to the room, walking past the theatre and into the room Bucky was in. You sit down in the chair beside his bed, taking hold of his hand in yours and bringing it up to your lips. "James Buchanan Barnes, why the hell did you have to do that!? You know Nat can handle herself." You mumble against his hand, your voice barely audible. "You know, every time I see you I fall in love with you all over again. Even now when you're just lying there. Goddammit Bucky, why'd you have to be so damn foolish!? I know this isn't exactly a walk in the park for you, but it isn't fun for me either." You say, laying his hand down on the bed as you brush the hair out of his face, a fresh wave of tears running down your cheeks. "Please don't leave me. I need you, Bucky. I can't do this without you. I've never felt so loved before and I can't imagine my life without you, Buck, so please, I'm begging you, come back to me; to Steve, come back to us." You choke out, your breath hitching in your throat as you lean over, pressing a kiss to his forehead. "I love you so fucking much." You say as you rise from the chair, heading out of the room to give him time with Bucky.

The next few days feel like an eternity for you, constantly on edge as your mind dwells on the worst possible outcome. You spent most of your time drifting from Bucky's bedside to the sofa, holding your legs close to your chest as you struggled coming to terms with the fact Bucky might not wake up. You had Nat and Steve to share your grief with, but it didn't make it any easier. If anything it made it harder for you to keep holding onto that shred of hope Dr Cho gave you almost a week ago.

On the seventh day, you head up to Bucky's room, slowly coming to terms with Bucky's condition. You sit down in the chair by his bedside, holding onto his hand as you tell him about today's events. "Fury had a word with me today. He says, and I quote, 'You need to get off your ass and do something to take you mind off the situation.' He's right you know, I've just been moping about really. Nat says she's got an idea - oh, hi Dr Cho." You say as you notice Dr Cho approaching the two of you.

"I have some news on Bucky's condition. He seems to have improved remarkably since he was brought in, so we're going to try waking him up. I'll give the two of you a moment." She says, stepping outside of the room to give the two of you some space.

"Did you hear that Buck? They're gonna try waking you up." You let out a small sigh, a smile playing at the edge of your lips at the thought of hearing Bucky's voice again. "I'll see you soon." You say, pressing a kiss to his forehead before leaving the med bay, heading straight to the common room to find Steve and Nat. "They're going to try to wake him up." You announce when you walk into the room, your smile growing as you see the hope flood into their eyes.

The next few hours are a killer for the three of you as you constantly fidget or pace about whatever room you're in, whether it be the common room or outside the med bay. Finally, Dr Cho opens the door again, a smile on her face as she sees the three of you waiting impatiently outside. "He's asking for you." She says, holding the door open as Steve and Nat walk through, heading straight to Bucky's room. She turns to me, raising an eyebrow in confusion.

"I need a minute." You say, letting out a long breath as she nods, leaving you alone in the corridor. You run your hands through your hair, your hands shaking slightly at the thought of seeing Bucky's crystal blue eyes again, sending your heart a-flutter. You take a deep breath before pushing open the door, making a bee-line for Bucky's room. You pause outside for a moment, a part of you terrified that Dr Cho was wrong and that he was still asleep. You shook your head, realising you were being irrational you made your way into Bucky's room, your eyes lighting up as you saw Bucky propped up on a few pillows, holding an animated conversation with Steve as Nat made her way over to you.

"I've said what I needed to say to him. I'll see you later." She says, wrapping her arms around you and giving you a brief hug before leaving.

You walk over to Bucky's bedside as Steve pats his shoulder, letting out a laugh before whispering something in his ear and leaving the room. "Hi Bucky." You say, slowly sitting down in the chair beside his bed.

"Hey doll." He croaks, his voice thick with sleep. "How are you feeling?" He asks, reaching out for your hand.

You take hold of it, your thumb rubbing circles into the back of his hand as you scoff, shaking your head. "How am I feeling!? Bucky, you almost died! How are you feeling?" You ask, a hysterical laugh escaping your mouth.

"Hey, hey, calm down. I'm fine, I'm better now." He says, turning slightly in his bed to face you.

"You were shot, multiple times! I thought I was going to lose you, Buck!" You say, your voice growing more hysterical by the second as tears threaten to spill over.

"I know. I heard most of what you said to me, and I need you to trust me when I say that I'm with you, okay. I will always be with you, even when you don't think you need me, because we're a team." Bucky says, leaning forward slightly to cup your face with his hand, the metal sending chills down your spine.

"I've missed you so, damn much." You say, leaning forward and gingerly pressing a kiss to his lips, revelling in the small fire that begins to burn inside of you. You had Bucky back, and you weren't planning on letting anything take him away from you, because he's right, you are a team and you're in this together.