3

The first month of living with Matt was hard. He was a lawyer by day and life saver by night. The first few nights didn't bother me but the first time he came home beaten to a pulp and bleeding everywhere I knew I was in for a wild ride. I did the best patchwork job on him I could and even being an ace seamstress I still didn't think the stitches held the best. That night he crashed on the couch, his blood soaking into his shirt and sweatpants. I drowned myself in a couple of beers and passed out on the floor next to him.

As the weeks passed, and he kept coming home with more holes in him than a dart board, I learned little tricks to patching him up. I got better at stitching his wounds and getting blood out of my shirts after a long night. I asked him to train me to kick ass, just in case, but he dismissed me immediatly. The next day while he was at work I found myself at the karate dojo down the street and worked one on one with the sensei. I wanted to learn to defend myself in case someone came after me again. Even after a month I was still beyond paranoid about the Russian mob following me and kidnapping me again.

That night I asked Matt if he could stay home just one night. I begged him, pleading that I needed one night to feel normal. He agreed, despite arguing about it for a half hour. We ordered Thai food and listened to soft music. We talked about all kinds of stuff, mostly it was him talking though. He talked about his coworkers and partners in crime fighting, Karen and Foggy. They seemed nice but I didn't think I'd get the pleasure of meeting them anytime soon. That's when Matt brought up something completely unexpected.

"So Y/N I've been thinking. I know you wanted me to train you and I know you want answers about your dad. I talked to foggy and Karen and they both think it would be helpful to you if you came into work with me for a while. It can be our new case and we can all find out what happened to him. What really happened. I mean."

I just sat there in shock. I could tell he was using that sonar hearing on me cause he turned his ear in my direction​ when I felt my heart skip a beat.

"I...I...I don't know... What to say. There's nothing I want more than to hunt down the man who pulled the trigger on my dad, but you want to turn this into a full fledged case?"

He seemed taken a back.

"I just thought it would be the best way to find answers. Ya know get more people to look into things I-"

"What if I didn't want you to?"

"Don't you want to find out who killed your dad?"

"Yes and I wanna find the mastermind behind my kidnapping but that doesn't mean I wanted to take my issues to your lawyer friends."

"Well just foggy and I are lawyers, but-"

"Um, actually, ya know what, I'm gonna take a walk. I wanna just think for a minute and get some fresh air."

I pulled my jacket on and walked to the door.

"Y/N, wait, come back."

"Don't wait up for me."

With that I slammed the door behind me leaving Matt alone in his apartment. I was sort of furious with him. He had no right to dump my problems on people that I have never even met. The longer I walked the more I steamed. My head was getting the better of me and all I wanted to do was scream. I walked for almost an hour around hells kitchen. When I stopped I found myself two blocks from the Nelson and Murdock law office at an old diner. I walked through the doors letting the smell of coffee and grease fill my nose.

I sat at a booth on the far side by a window and got a good scope of the place at night. there wasn't many customers this late, being about 11, but there was a dark man sitting three booths in front of me. he stared at me from the moment I sat down till the moment I paid and left.

As I walked down the back alley making my way home I could hear someone following me. It had to be the mysterious man at the diner. He kept hot on my trail for four blocks, I couldn't go back to Matt's house, just in case. I rounded a corner and popped open the pocket knife I had been holding in my pocket since I started my journey.

When he came around the corner I grabbed him but he was to strong for me. We wrestled around for a minute slamming each other against the buildings, going in circles. I thought I had an advantage after slashing his cheek but he got me on the ground before I could even take a proper breath. he strattled me, pulled the knife out of my hands, and held them above my head. He had a dark face, dark eyes, and dark hair. I struggled under his firm grip, but I couldn't find it in myself to fight back.

"If your going to kill me just do it. Please."

"I'm not going to kill you."

He got off of me and stood up, staring down at my smaller figure on the ground.

"Then why have you been following me?"