28

We made our way down the street, hand in hand. I had one earbud in and was dancing along, swinging our hands between us. Frank just laughed at me being a dork. When we got to the deli I just sighed and looked at him. There was a sign in the window that said 'cash only.' Frank looked around at the shop by the deli and saw an ATM outside of one.

"Here, y/n, how about you go in and see what you want and I'll go get some cash."

I nodded my head and he made his way across the street. When I walked into the shop my nose was filled with the smell of fresh bread and sliced pepperoni. Mr BossMan made the best subs in town and the Italian was his specialty.  I stood in the back looking at the menu and watching people come and go. None of them were Frank which was weird since it normally didn't take him long to get back to me when he leaves me alone in public. Boss turned his attention to me after he helped the last person in line.

"You been doing good kid?"

"Yeah, and you?"

"Oh you know the usual, the wife and kids driving me crazy."

I just laughed.

"Same story different day B."

Two men walked in and made their way immediatly to the check out counter. One pulled a gun and pointed it at Mr BossMan, the other turned and pointed a gun at me. A million things ran through my mind at once but I put my hands in the air and wondered where the hell Frank was. The one holding the gun to BossMan demanded all the money. he yelled and shot at the wall behind boss, who quickly have up the whole cash register drawer. The other facing me walked closer and demanded the back pack I was wearing for our day trip. He skimmed through it and took out my wallet.

When he opened it and found just my I.D. he started yelling and cussing at me. I just closed my eyes and let my body tremble. I heard the bell on the door ring and opened my eyes to see Frank. He pulled his gun and shot the man yelling at me. The other man shot Mr BossMan in the shoulder and turned and shot at me. I felt a sharp pain in my abdomen and just gasped for air. Frank shot him and ran to me, hopping over the man on the ground. I fell to my knees and clutched at my bleeding stomach. Frank just held me and tried to keep me steady. He turned to Boss.

"CALL 911!"

His voice cracked and he was starting to tear up, rocking me back and fourth in his arms. I reached up and ran my thumb across his cheek, smearing blood on his face.

"I'm sorry Frank."

He just shook his head no.

"Y/n this wasn't your fault. If anything it's mine. I let this happen. I wasn't fast enough. I was to late, again."

I skewed my eyebrows together and studied his face.

"Don't. Don't do that to yourself. Look, I'm gonna be just fine."

I lifted my hand to expose my open wound and placed it back just as fast. Groaning and leaning my head back at the pain. I heard sirens in the background.

"Frank you gotta get outta here. If you don't they'll take you away from me."

"No, I can't, I have to stay with you."

Boss came up behind him and placed a hand on his shoulder.

"Go, I'll make sure she stays safe."

Frank looked at me and kissed my forehead.

"I'll be at the hospital as soon as I call Matt."

I nodded and he picked me up and placed me in a chair. I watched him walk to the back, he looked at me multiple times before he walked out the door. The paramedics walked through the front with a gurney and helped me onto it. Once I was in the ambulance with BossMan sat by my side I closed my eyes and remained still the whole ride to metro general.