32

Two weeks later and I was walking around the apartment by myself, slowly but surely. It wasn't easy but it was progress. My bump was getting bigger and I was starting to develop the pregnancy waddle. Every step earned a groan or a moan and everyone seemed to be dancing around me. I didn't want them to act that way though, it was degrading, it's not like I'm made of glass. I was stubborn however. Everything is mine to do, I can do it by myself and I was gonna show them all that. Or so I thought. I bent over one day to pick up a fallen baby toy.

Matt had tried to be sneaky about buying things for the baby but it didn't work. He was always losing some of it on the way to his room which now resided upstairs in the loft. He felt it better to be up there now since I was hurt (and because he comes and goes through there anyways). He just so happened to drop a new toy this time around and I stood and admired it for a minute. He was upstairs already and unpacking some bags. He called after me a second later and stepped out, addressing me over the banister.

"Did I lose the-"

"Yeah, Matt,"

I smiled up at him,

"I guess your plan was fooled the toy is down here."

he just laughed and sent me a crooked smile.

"Give me a second and I'll come down to get it."

I shook my head.

"No I can bring it up."

His face flushed with one of concern as he started to rush for the stairs. I made it up four of them before gripping the handle tight as I could and screaming in agony. I was in the worst pain I'd ever been in and that was saying something since I had literally just been shot a couple of weeks later. In no time Matt was by my side, holding my tense body against the stairs.

"Damn it I told you I'd get it."

I squeezed the toy lightly, making it squeak, before passing out.