2 | Kyūbi

At the age of five for Itachi and at the age of seven for Hagami, both understood life. It was born, and then it must perish. It was born, and then it must perish. It was an ongoing cycle between life and death that balanced the world. But others thought differently. Orochimaru was a fine example. Hagami had overheard him once that without having eternal life, it was pointless. Others have said that life is a burden. It's free in the beginning but the debt pays up in years. In the end, you owe death a certain number of years, such as ninety-seven. It's free, but then it costs everything.

Itachi greeted Hagami as she walked into the house. She discarded her shoes at the step before actually walking into the main house. In the kitchen, she could see that Itachi had turned back to playing with Sasuke as he held out his finger and Mikoto was at the stove cooking.

"Kaasan?" Itachi asked when Hagami sat down beside him. Hagami stuck out her finger and Sasuke quickly took hold of it and let out a gurgly laugh. "Is Lord Fourth going to have a baby too?"

"Yes. I wonder what it'll be." Mikoto answered. "I'm going to be out tonight, so go ahead and have dinner with Hagami."

"Hai." Itachi answered and took over with playing with Sasuke.

"Your father's working too, so please watch Sasuke." Mikoto also requested.

"Hai." Hagami answered this time and watched Sasuke with a protective glow in her eyes. Mikoto left about twenty minutes after the food was done and reminded Itachi and Hagami about the rules. The two of them abided by them having already had them engraved in their heads.

"How's the Academy?" Hagami asked looking up from her dinner. She hadn't really eaten anything yet, she's only been poking at certain pieces of food here and there. Sometimes, she had a sixth sense, like something bad was going to happen and right now, she couldn't shake that feeling so she waited for Itachi's response.

"It's going smoothly. My marks are high." Itachi responded and then turned to Sasuke. He stuck a finger out to him and gently nudged his cheek, despite him sleeping. "Do you think the expectations are too high for Sasuke?" He asked, surprising Hagami for a moment.

"I..." Hagami trailed off not having the words to say. "He's young at the moment and expectations as such are heavy. It's burdening to carry expectations, especially ones that are forced onto individuals. They won't be too much, just stressful and nagging. I think Sasuke will be able to push past them."

"Ah." Itachi responded.

After dinner was over, Hagami took priority of taking care of the dishes and stood over the sink. A stool was under her feet too because if she were to go without it, she'd sort of have to jump every time to reach the water. Sasuke and Itachi were out on the back step with Itachi staring at the moon.

"It's a full moon tonight, Sasuke." Itachi's gaze held firm on the moon, the light coming from it was enough to illuminate the ground around him with about the strength of a lantern or two. But it wasn't too long after that a cold wind pushed passed Itachi and Sasuke. The feeling of it was unnerving as Hagami walked outside with a cloth in her hand too. Even Sasuke could tell that it was unnerving when he began to whine fearfully and huddle closer to Itachi.

"What is it?" Itachi asked Hagami. She sat down to Itachi's left and stayed huddled close as if for safety. Itachi was left without an answer when Hagami tried to survey the area. If she used her Sharingan, then she'd be able to see further as well as chakra sources, but that was against her better judgement at the moment. She didn't want to reveal it right yet.

"I can't see anything yet." Hagami responded.

"What is this sensation?" Itachi asked looking at the full moon. Hagami turned back to Sasuke to see a distressed look on his face. Itachi immediately trained his eyes back on Sasuke too, and rocked him back in forth in his arms when he began to wail. "There, there. Don't cry Sasuke. No matter what happens, your big brother and Onēsan will definitely protect you." He cooed to Sasuke. Hagami smiled softly at Sasuke too when he opened his eyes slightly. But Hagami couldn't shake the troubling feeling.

But what happened next was something more than the small disturbance Hagami hoped for. Shockwaves along with a dangerous and powerful chakra source flooded the Uchiha compound as well at Konohagakure as a whole. A shrill scream of a beast echoed in Hagami's ears and she jumped to her feet. Itachi didn't have a chance to question her either when she ran back inside. Though she was a Chūnin, she already had a weapon of her own. A tantō and its holster was in her hand as well as her hitai-ate. She strapped it on as she jumped down the step the two had been sitting on and she strapped her holster on first.

"Keep Sasuke safe and evacuate everyone you see that isn't moving toward the safe houses!" Hagami's voice was strong, something uncharacteristic and rarely seen. Itachi watched as she strapped her hitai-ate around her forehead and then she grabbed the hilt of her tantō. "Otōto! Get moving before things get worse." Hagami still held some compassion in her voice but if that were overlooked, it'd sound like she was barking orders as she jumped up to the wall that separated the Uchiha grounds from the rest of Konohagakure.

"The DEMON FOX IS ON THE LOOSE!" As soon as Hagami leapt into the heart of the Village, she heard 'Demon Fox'. She had never seen the Demon Fox but knew that it was sealed inside Kushina, the Hokage's wife. A shockwave from the immense power of the Demon Fox blew her off balance in the air and she would've crashed into the roof if she didn't use her chakra in her hands to cushion her fall. In the distance, she could see the silhouette of the Demon Fox, its nine tails wreaking havoc amongst the buildings and villagers alike.

Quickly looking around, Hagami searched where she could help first. She wouldn't be much help, in fact she'd only get in the way if she were to help defend directly against the Demon Fox, so she turned to the villagers. Large chunks of rocks were flying everywhere at the moment so Hagami figured it'd be best to do something about that first.

"Katon, Gōkakyū no Jutsu (Fire Style, Fireball Jutsu)!" Hagami shouted leaping into the air. Her fire wouldn't do much to break the rock hitting at the angle she did diverted its path and slowed the rate of it falling to the ground. The villagers who had been covering their heads looked up to see Hagami standing over them. "Go! Get to shelter now!" She ordered them despite being seven. The villagers didn't disregard her and merely nodded too.

"Arigato (Thank you)." One of them murmured and carried their unconscious child close to their chest.

Turning back, she could see more chucks of rock flying toward them and she began weaving hand signs again. She prepared to use a Lightning Style Jutsu because she knew that this had a chance of shattering the rock instead of slowing its decent.

"Raiton, Raikou Hitofuki no Jutsu (Lightning Style, Lightning Blast Jutsu)!" She shouted and clapped her palms together. Electricity raged in her hands and threatened to burn the tops of them as she ran forward. She thrust both palms into the nearest boulder flying toward the villagers repetitively clawed at it, which only took a few times, to make a dent and eventually shatter it into smaller chunks. They rained down as nothing more than a rock the size of her hand after using about half of her chakra.

Hagami landed on a roof, her breath becoming ragged from the extensive use of her chakra. She had used a Fire Style Jutsu which took a quarter of her chakra and then a Chūnin-ranked Lightning Style Jutsu that took half of what was left. Hagami hadn't trained in such a way for a long time, let alone expended this much chakra in such short of time.

But Hagami felt like her actions were in vain one the rubble cleared. Many fallen bodies were laying around on the ground, crushed by the rubble or fallen buildings. None of them were alive either and Hagami's heart ached a little. However, aside from the deaths below her, she heard a baby wail not too far from her. Hagami recognized it easily as Sasuke's and worry filled her. There weren't anymore boulders or buildings flying her way either so she picked up her pace to her left. Upon getting closer, she could hear another person crying softly.

"Okaasan! Otousan!" Hagami recognized the voice of the girl but couldn't put a name to it.

"Come here!" Hagami heard Itachi's voice and she leapt to the final roof before she reached them. But up ahead, she could see a large boulder flying their way too. It was too far away and wouldn't hit them directly but it was close enough to make a shockwave that would plow through the wall where Itachi was.

"Itachi!" The girl whimpered out and began wiping her tears just as Hagami leapt over the roof. Instead of letting the girl run toward the exit and risk getting hurt, Hagami used her left arm to wrap around the girl's torso and then ran her over to Itachi. Itachi's eyes widened seeing Hagami running toward him and then saw her throw the girl gently by the wrist. Itachi quickly caught her and then yanked her around the side of the building just as the shockwave hit.