10 | Intelligence

Hagami returned home that day having completed her weaponry exam and passing it. Fugaku got wind of it first in the family, let alone the whole Uchiha Clan, and immediately congratulated her. He had obviously been told that she passed with exceptional skill. Mikoto had also congratulated her as well as Sasuke though he didn't have that much knowledge yet. Itachi, however, wasn't at the house when she got home. It was late in the afternoon, almost evening and Hagami merely thought he was still training with Shisui.

"Okaasan, I have my next exam tomorrow on intellectual and tracking." Hagami announced when she grabbed an apple from the fruit bowl. Mikoto, who had been playing with Sasuke, looked up with a slightly surprised look. "What?"

"I didn't think they'd test you on something like that." Mikoto admitted. "How do you think you'll do?"

"I think I'll do fine. I usually pick up on stuff pretty easily." She assured. "After this exam, I'll move onto the others: Ninjutsu, Taijutsu, and Genjutsu."

"Ah, so they're doing the two nonbasic subjects first and then giving you the others?" Mikoto asked.

"I guess, that's how it's set up right now." Hagami responded just as the door slid open. Hagami and Mikoto glanced at each other quickly before Hagami walked over to the door. To her surprise, she saw Shisui in the doorway but with Itachi asleep on his back. Hagami bit back a chuckle and quickly walked over. She didn't look it but she was strong enough to carry Itachi too when Shisui positioned him on her back. "He used the Sharingan?"

"Ah, I'll explain what happened tomorrow or something." Shisui said whilst nodding. "For now, make sure Itachi doesn't use his right ankle for a while. He sprained it turning training."

"Hai." Hagami said and a smile graced her face. Shisui genuinely returned it before greeting Mikoto and Fugaku, and then leaving for the night.

Something much more than training happened tonight. Hagami thought when she carried Itachi to his bed.

---

The intelligence and tracking portion of her exam started at the same time the next day. Hagami didn't have a chance to say good-bye to anyone but at least she didn't wake Sasuke or Itachi up this time by tripping. However, she did manage to leave her tantō and had to turn back after she got halfway to her destination.

But when she finally got to the Forty-Fourth Training Grounds, the Forest of Death, she waited for her proctor to make an appearance. To her surprise, it was a Jōnin maybe ten years older than her. He had dark brown hair and noticeable bags under his eyes. His hitai-ate was worn as a bandana.

"My name is Gekkō Hayate. I'll be your proctor for this exam." He announced in a raspy voice. Hagami nodded, eager to start now. "You'll have five hours to search through the Forest of Death to find the scroll that contains top secret information crucial to the Village. I, along with four other Jōnin will monitor your progress and time use. When I say begin, you may enter. We just have to wait for the other two Jōnin to arrive.

"Hai." Hagami responded and she tightened her tantō's holster around her shoulder. She also repositioned her ninja holster around her thigh and adjusted the ninja pouch on her hip. Lastly, she checked to make sure that her hitai-ate was in place so it wouldn't fall off.

Finally, the other Jōnin made it and Hayate fumbled with the lock binding the gates for a moment. When it clicked, Hayate gingerly removed the rusted lock and then proceeded to open the gates. The four Jōnin present went through first and fanned out to track her progress whilst Hayate just walked into the training grounds a few feet.

He sighed deeply and then looked at Hagami, "You may now begin this portion of the exam. You have five hours to complete it. Begin!" He shouted as he vanished from in front of her.