28.1 | Explosion

Part II

Itachi could feel a disturbance in the air and when he met with Shisui early that morning, he broke down. Shisui could normally hold his own against his emotions but he broke today. It didn't last long, but it was enough to concern Itachi. He comforted his friend as much as he could, or as well as he could whilst he talked about Hagami's plan. It sounded outrageous in Itachi's mind and Shisui agreed with him. But agreeing to stop her would be against their better judgment; Shisui may be a year older but Hagami was craftier and a better lair; and even though Itachi was a year younger and a prodigy, Hagami was also a prodigy and more skilled than him. If the two went after her, they stood a chance but Hagami also possessed the Susanoo now, and if she possessed that, she could use both the Amaterasu and Tsukuyomi. If they evened the odds, either Itachi would need the Susanoo or the two of them would have to prevent her from using it.

"Shisui-san, I think we need to wait until this passes over. Hagami knows what she's doing, I'm positive. She would only kill with a greater goal backing her reasoning up." Itachi spoke calmly to Shisui. He had his hand covering his eyes, his emotions threatening to break through again. Shisui took in a sharp breath. "We can ask her about her reasoning later. Right now, we need to figure out what to do with the-" Itachi's sentence was cut short when a loud explosion reverberated outside in their ears. Shisui snapped out of his daze and Itachi drew his tantō. The two merely glanced at each other and they ran out of the house through Hagami's window.

Repetitive explosions reverberated through the Village. Screams from startled villagers rang faintly through their ears. When they looked down from the second story, many of the Uchiha were heading toward the exit of their Clan grounds. Itachi and Shisui glanced at each other one more time before they went opposite directions in order to help as many civilians as possible.

Itachi raced toward the Clan's exit but before he could reach it, his foot touched a paper bomb and it went off. The roof caved in but he was lucky that no one was in the shop. Itachi flipped down onto the ground and continued running. His Sharingan activated too but it didn't reveal anymore paper bombs. He thought, Hagami must of put a Genjutsu over them. That's why none of them have been found. He narrowed his eyes slightly and leapt up to the wall of the Uchiha Clan. He watched as a couple more explosions went off but as he closed in a shockwave went off.

Hagami's Susanoo manifested about ten meters from him. It was skeletal and it was only the torso up, but it had displaced many buildings nearby. When Itachi leapt up to the roof tops, he could see many Uchiha lying on the ground unconscious...or dead. Shisui had told Itachi that she mentioned not holding back, perhaps she wasn't bluffing like they're originally believing. Before Itachi could leap forward to confront her, someone put their hand to his shoulder. Itachi looked over his left shoulder to see Fugaku standing by his side. There was a look in his eyes warning him to not go any further.

"I had no idea Hagami possessed the Susanoo." Fugaku uttered quietly. "But we can't let her do this. If I had known...had known that she'd go as far as attacking the Village and us because of the Coup d'État then I would've called it off. But right now, we have to stop her, this is an internal Clan affair. I've already sent Uchiha after her but it seems she not holding back, even against us."

"The Uchiha alone won't be able to stop her." Itachi whispered. "She possesses the Amaterasu, and Tsukuyomi. And she now possesses the Susanoo as we can both see. The Village and us need to work together. I doubt we'll be able to kill her though." Itachi struggled to put up an act that'd change Fugaku's mind about them alone and the Clan charging after her. What he said was partially right. If the Uchiha did attack her as a whole, they may have some chance, as long as they could stop the Susanoo. And killing her, Hagami would probably be able to avoid that easily. "I'll send word to-"

"Go. And hurry up." Fugaku cut him off. She was like family. It's hard to believe she's turning against the Clan and the Village. But I guess this is what I get for pushing her into the Clan affairs and the Coup d'État. He thought and took off whilst Itachi went to the Hokage's Office.

Hagami glanced down at the civilians around her with her eyes dull. Her emotions were being kept in check solely by the thought of the Clan and Village working together in peace. She continued forward, toward the Hokage's Office specifically to confront him. On her way, she sensed out any building that had no people in them and left them in shambles in her passing. Like she had explained to Tobi, she wanted to cause the least amount of injuries to civilians around her.

"Katon, Gōkakyū no Jutsu (Fire Style, Fireball Jutsu)!" Hagami turned her head slowly so the Susanoo could keep up with her as a barrage of fire collided into her. About ten meters away or so stood seven Uchiha with Fugaku in the middle. Judging by the amount of power packed into the jutsu, she guessed three of them had used it.

Whilst the Uchiha tried to fend Hagami off or at least away from the rest of the civilians, Itachi bursted through the door of the Hokage's Office. He was surprised to see Hiruzen gazing out of the window, his eyes calculative and his arms folded behind his back. Itachi walked further into the room cautiously.

"Lord Hokage," he announced his presence.

"I know Itachi." Hiruzen responded. "I've already sent the Anbu Black Ops over there as well as a handful of Jōnin. I'm going to join in as well, but not until she's worn down a bit."

"Hagami won't wear down very quick." Itachi warned. "Even if her Susanoo dies down, she's an expert in Taijutsu without the Sharingan."

"Without it?" Hiruzen sighed. "I'm aware of her potential. But I never guessed that she'd attack Konohagakure the day of the Coup d'État."

"She did it for a reason." Itachi murmured. "Lord Hokage, Hagami isn't attacking pointlessly right now. She isn't trying to prove we're the strongest," Hiruzen of course knew this already, "she isn't trying to set fear into others hearts. Right now she's trying to get he Uchiha and Village to work together to defeat a common foe." This caught Hiruzen's attention hence he whipped around. "Lord Hokage, Onēsan is planning on going Rogue after she's finished."

"She's doing this to give us a common foe? She wants to become a Rogue Ninja?" Hiruzen asked, shock written over his face. "She never mentioned any of this to me through her reports on the Village. She never hinted it either. When did you learn of this?"

"Shisui-san told me about it this morning." Itachi answered. "She's going to fight against the Village and Uchiha Clan until we work together to drive her out."

"Do you have any idea why she chose this method?" Hiruzen asked.

"I believe she thinks that once either side sees that it's pointless to fight her alone, they'll be forced to fight in conjunction with each other in order to win. This'll build a relationship between the Clan and Village which will further instill peace and trust amongst them. She may believe that this'll encourage change in the Clan and Village too to suit one another." Itachi answered again. "But in doing so, she'll..."

"She's making the ultimate sacrifice. Leaving the Village and the Clan behind for our peace." Hiruzen finished for Itachi knowing that it was heartbreaking for him to say it on his alone.