8 | Near

The month of which Hagami had to train to become Jōnin was drawing to a close. Training became Hagami's top priority now, the feeling of guilt that she wasn't able to save Tenma still weighing on her shoulders. Only Itachi knew of her Sharingan now, as well as Shisui. The two of them have kept quiet though, and her eyes remained a secret to everyone.

Today was the start of a new week though and Itachi and Hagami walked side by side toward the exit of their house. Itachi has his mission gear with him and Hagami only brought her tantō along with her. They passed Fugaku quietly as he fed the koi fish.

"Are you leaving already?" Fugaku asked the two. He was somewhat concerned about the two of them, especially Hagami since she was rarely at the house anymore. She was either training or on a mission.

"Ah." Itachi answered.

"I see..." Fugaku drifted off. "You awakened your Sharingan at the age eight, before Hagami could," Hagami's back stiffened and she shot Itachi an apologetic look, "I suppose the Village wants to observe your abilities. This just shows how much power and influence the Sharingan holds. I want you to be aware of that." He somewhat warned.

"It just brings joy to the Clan when one excels." Itachi murmured under his breath.

"Of course, I'm very proud of you too." Fugaku assured having heard Itachi. Hagami looked down to see Itachi's fists clench and placed a hand on his shoulder. The protective gaze was still in her eyes but there was also a guilty look too. She still was beating herself down for not being able to save Tenma. In the back of Itachi's eyes, Hagami could tell he was remembering what happened to Tenma too.

"He died, Otousan." Itachi whispered. He wished his father would take the pain of losing someone into a little more consideration.

"But, do not rest on your laurels just because you have the Sharingan now." Fugaku warned having ignored Itachi's quiet statement. "In order to sharpen the power in your eyes, you must continue to be diligent. Well, I don't need to lecture you, you are my son after all.

My friend died, but Otousan is... Itachi thought and gritted his teeth. However, he merely turned with forced smile, "Hai, Otousan." He said with strained determination. Hagami, who had turned slightly, had her lips pushed into a thin line, her eyes filled with sadness. "I will continue to be diligent.

"Good." Fugaku said with a proud smile.

"I'll be on my way." Itachi said and began turning back to their way out of the house. The two still had to put their shoes on but nonetheless, Hagami was done before Itachi. A victorious smile lingered faintly on Hagami's face as Itachi struggled with a buckle. However, just as he latched it closed, Sasuke came running down from the second floor. He was five years old and still innocent. He pounced onto Itachi's back.

"Nīsan! You said you'd play with me today!" Sasuke said excitedly pushing playfully on Itachi's back. Itachi gasped quickly not exactly expecting Sasuke to pop out of nowhere.

"That's right, I did, didn't I?" Itachi asked as he stood up. Sasuke's face brightened and then he saw Hagami in the background.

"Onēsan can play with us too!" Sasuke added quickly. He cared for Hagami even though he knew she didn't belong directly to their household.

"But I have a mission." Itachi admitted bluntly but somehow it was softer than Hagami could have done. Sasuke's face began to drop and his cheeks had puffed out. "Forgive me Sasuke. Next time." Itachi said as he brought his hand up to poke Sasuke in the forehead.

"Onēsan?" Sasuke asked hopefully but when Itachi turned around, he saw Shisui propping himself up in the doorway.

"I have training today. I'll try to come home early though." She said softly. She sighed when Sasuke's cheeks puffed out again. "Gomenasai (Sorry)." She said and patted Sasuke's head twice.

"Sorry Sasuke, I'm gonna borrow your brother for a little while." Shisui also apologized when he gave Sasuke a small wave. The three Uchiha stuck together most of the time and Sasuke often tried to tag along. But what they discussed and trained was too much for Sasuke to handle, at least, for now.

The three of them left quietly and quickly. They basically had formed a Squad of their own as they showed up at the Forty-Fourth Training Grounds.

"Why did you lie?" Shisui asked when they arrived.

"Sasuke resents me now." Itachi answered knowing he gave the same response to Sasuke every time. The two of them started training right away, so fast that Itachi had to finish his sentence as he was reaching for a scroll inside a hollow tree trunk. "I know that was wrong of me...but Sasuke's a smart kid. He'll understand."

"'First, have one Genin accompany you, and secure the scroll in question.'" Shisui murmured mostly to himself. "I suppose that Hagami will count as someone just training her, she's not helping after all." He added and took the scroll that Itachi was handing to him. "Even if my training exercise required a Genin, it really didn't have to be you." Shisui said.

"Don't say that now!" Itachi snapped as Shisui opened the scroll. An amused look lingered faintly on Shisui's face. "Even if it's not a real mission, none other than Shisui the Jōnin requested me." He said almost pridefully. "I'm not lying when I say it's a mission, right?"

"Well, you're half right." Shisui accepted and tucked the scroll away. "Let's go." He announced and took off with Itachi close behind.

"What are the details of the training exercise?" Itachi asked when he caught up to Shisui.

"There are three parts," Shisui held up his thumb, index finger, and pinkie. "The first part is to find traces left by a fugitive, and then track him," the two of them swung from vines because they were faster than running. Shisui twisted his body to avoid being eaten by the snake that had lunged toward the two whilst Itachi cut it in two places. "Pretty good!" Shisui complemented when he saw the snake fall.

Hagami went to another part of the Forest of Death. She intended on training there for the last week of the month to prepare for the Jōnin Exams. She particularly had to work on Ninjutsu. Her Taijutsu and Genjutsu were her best features, but Ninjutsu could use some work as well as her weaponry.

"Katon, Gōkakyū no Jutsu (Fire Style, Fireball Jutsu)!" She shouted and the fire spurted from her lips. It smashed into the tree in front of her and the flames quickly began to crawl up. "Suiton, Teppōdama (Water Style, Liquid Bullets)!" She shouted immediately after and inhaled sharply. Despite the injury to her leg she received a while back, it was still healing and she couldn't completely ignore it. The katana cut deep but didn't hit her bone. Regardless though, it still hurt when her aim was thrown off. The flames were only partially put out. "Suiton, Suishōha (Water Style, Water Shockwave)!" She shouted practically reckless of the chakra it'd use. Tobirama, the Second Hokage, had used that jutsu before but his was much more grand than the crude control that Hagami was performing.

The water from the small creek was being used to fuel the jutsu and it was nearly drained as the water Hagami controlled crashed into the tree violently. The fire was definitely put out now considering the whole place was now drenched in water.