16 | Comfort

"I couldn't keep the promise I made moments before Kōtō and Itoru's deaths." Hagami whispered. "I told him that I wouldn't let him do what he did last time...but that proved to be empty words and they were...were..." A tear rolled down Hagami's cheek followed by others and Shisui slowly turned her around. She hadn't ever been like this in front of him, and Itachi rarely saw her like this. It's been a long time since he was attacked by the masked man but that's when she also broke down like this.

"Don't worry, Hagami-san." Shisui assured quietly. "Your new power will be hard to handle, but I'm sure you'll learn how to use it. I could always help too, I'm always willing."

"Arigato (Thank you) Shisui-san." Hagami whispered shakily. She allowed her guard to drop slightly, something she hadn't done around nearly everyone for a very long time.

---

The next day, Hagami found herself kneeling  before the Hokage with one fist on the ground and her other hand on her knee. She kept her head dipped down and her hair cascaded down over her shoulders almost touching the floor. It was early in the morning, around 0830 but Hagami didn't mind much. However, the same couldn't be same for Hiruzen who was already busy with work and filling out documents.

"Hagami, I know what happened to your Squad happened a month ago. But, you have to start taking missions again soon. You're at the age where you can mentor a Squad but it'll be very hard. I've thought about giving you a Squad actually, but I'm still pondering it with the higher-ups." Hiruzen lowered the pipe that rested on his chin and took a look at Hagami. She had stood up from her kneeling position and had a hand on her hip now.

"With all due respect, Lord Hokage, I believe I'm ready to resume taking missions." Hagami said confidently. She was still a little shaken from yesterday but she tried to conceal it or at least convince Hiruzen she was fine.

"You think you're ready to resume taking A-Rank and B-Rank missions again? You're going to have a new Squad as well though I don't know how you're going to get along with them." Hiruzen sighed rubbing his temples. "But your new teammates will be-"

"Lord Hokage, if I may request, I'd like to work alone from here on out." Hagami cut him off quietly. Hiruzen looked at her closer now than before. She would never cut him off unless what she had to say was important. His eyes honed in on her own.

"You've awakened the Sharingan haven't you? On that A-Rank mission." Hiruzen hypothesized and Hagami had no use in protesting against him. It'd only strengthen his side anyway. Her eyes slowly shifted to crimson and then something beyond. Three spirals radiated from her pupil and then curved around to touch the arc of another, getting thinner as it closed in. It almost looked like a flower. "The Mangekyō...Sharingan. Hagami, how long have you had the Sharingan?" Hiruzen stood from his seat, astounded by the information he was just getting now.

"When I was five years old, when my parents committed suicide. That's when my Sharingan first appeared. I've honed it for seven years, or about that but rarely because I've wanted it to remain a secret. My Mangekyō Sharingan appeared a month ago, on that A-Rank mission but I haven't used it or showed anyone, until now."

"Why have you been keeping this? Does your own family even know about this?" Hiruzen asked, his eyes widening.

"Only Itachi and Shisui." Hagami answered unfazed by what he had brought up about Fugaku and Mikoto. "Okaasan and Otousan knew that my Sharingan would awaken after they committed suicide. Mikoto and Fugaku probably doubted that I could though because I'm a female and it's rare for a female to even awaken the Sharingan to begin with."

"Why only Itachi and Shisui?" Hiruzen asked.

"Itachi saw my Sharingan when I defended him from the masked man. Shisui guessed I had it, and he was right." Hagami answered. "And I've kept it a secret due to the face that I didn't want anyone to use me to use my Sharingan. I barely know what I can do with it because I've used it so rarely. So if it's not too much to ask, I'd like my Sharingan and Mangekyō Sharingan to be kept secret from the rest of the Village. I don't want anyone to know about it, not yet."

"Hagami, you know about Shisui and Itachi planning ways to avoid the Coup d'État don't you? And you want to work solo so you can work from the shadows with them. You don't want anyone knowing about your Sharingan because you're trying to think of a way to combat the coup with it. And with your Mangekyō Sharingan, your Genjutsu is unbelievably strong. Even during your exam, I could see that." Hiruzen admitted and Hagami's Mangekyō Sharingan faded from her eyes. "Actually, during all of your exams, you were holding back in some way. That gave away my first suspicion that you had the Sharingan."

"Lord Hokage please. I don't want anyone knowing about my Sharingan. Not yet, not before the Coup d'État." She pleaded with worried eyes. She had kept an almost impossible secret from her family, from her Clan, from the Village, and from the Hokage. Hagami couldn't push that guilt out the window very easily since she's lived with it since she was five. She could dull it at times but not completely.

Hiruzen sighed stressed. After digging through Hagami's eyes, it was clear she posed both a hope and fear for the Clan. She had the prowess to stop them either by Genjutsu or by force but at the same time she could be sought now used against the Village if someone were to sway her, not that that was easy. But she also could use the power for herself. Shisui had told him briefly about the Sharingan and they didn't sound like his own but like Hagami's. She could flee when she wanted to, or she could wreak havoc. But neither of these sound like Hagami so there was some comfort in the two latter thoughts.

"I'll keep things concealed on my part as much as I can. However, I cannot assure your secret will remain what it is for long. Rumors are spreading like wildfires throughout your Clan. Soon, you'll be followed and observed for any evidence of you using the Sharingan." Hiruzen warned. "As for working alone and to possibly keep your secret in the shadows, I'd like to personally ask you to join the Anbu Black Ops."