6 | Month

Sasuke was five years old by the time Itachi had been a Genin for two years. Itachi was also ten by now, Hagami was eleven, and Shisui was twelve but closer to thirteen. At the time, the moon was raising up into the star scattered sky. The moonlight was enough to make the metal on Itachi's hitai-ate gleam and Hagami came walking down the outside hallway.

She took a seat next to Itachi quietly until she broke the silence, "There's something on your mind, isn't there?" The moonlight glinted against the small brook in their compound.

"What's the meaning in life? Onēsan?" Itachi asked setting his hitai-ate in his lap. He looked up innocently at Hagami.

"I thought we've already figured that out, or at least discussed it." Hagami said as she brushed off the flak jacket she was wearing. She laid it beside her, and then took off the hitai-ate she had around her waist.

"We have, but your explanation seemed vague. I want to know more." Itachi answered. "You said life is something that is given to us to give us a chance at the world. To give us the ability to wonder, to try to understand the possibilities, to test the limits, but it's all so vague." Itachi repeated Hagami's words in a simplified fashion.

"Well, I suppose life is something that gives us a chance of interpreting the world. We all interpret it a different way, as you've seen, yeah? We live by our own beliefs and watch the world from all different perspectives. Some of us seek peace, others seek destruction." Hagami responded. "Life is a chance and we're driven by our desires to shape it to our visions."

"Then why do people kill? Why do we start and ignite war?"

"That's their way of trying to shape the world. If you think about it, some people want unity. They want us all to be as one, with one ruler. Other's want to be our equals, but achieve it through cutting others down. They aim for a thing that benefits them, but in the process, they exchange that position for the price of others." Hagami took a breath, "Some of it's for the greater good in their minds. But then it's ruined through the means of achieving it."

"So, life's a chance?" Itachi asked.

"Ah, that's how I see it. Life is a chance to make a difference." Hagami concluded and wrapped the hitai-ate in her lap around her belt where it was before. Itachi did the same when he wrapped it around his forehead.

---

"Lord Hokage, I saw my hawk in the air." Hagami knocked on the door and walked in cautiously. Hiruzen sat at his desk with a pipe in his mouth. When he looked up, he still looked slightly surprised having such a young ninja as a Chūnin.

"Ah, yes. As you know, you've been a Chūnin for quite some time. I believe it's time to be able to move up to Jōnin but only after you complete the Jōnin Exams successfully." Hiruzen said shuffling some papers. "Will you accept the promotion? Technically your parents are...deceased so the only permission I need is your's and your signature."

"What about Uchiha Fugaku and Uchiha Mikoto?" Hagami asked.

"I could consult them but I would like you to decide for yourself. I'll hand the rest of the legal documentation." Hiruzen said giving her a light smile. Hagami's eyes slowly brightened and a smile tugged at her lips too.

"I'll accept it. Is the Exam something like the Chūnin Exam? Or maybe escort mission?" Hagami asked, she failed to keep the excitement out of her voice.

"Actually no. The Jōnin Exams are very different. In fact, it'll be a series of five tests. Three of them will be circled around Ninjutsu, Taijutsu, and Genjutsu. The other two will be intellectual and tracking, and then weaponry." Hiruzen answered. "You'll have a different opponent every time too. It won't matter if you win either. You're going to be judged solely on your performance and technique."

"I see." Hagami nodded. "May I have the date of the Jōnin Exams and will I be going against anyone else?"

"You won't be going against anyone. The Jōnin Exams are hosted separately for those that are younger than the average age. The Exams will also be held about a month from now. I'd take this time to hone your skill because I will be assigning a couple Anbu members for you to fight against." Hiruzen warned.

"I understand."