18 | Surprise

Whilst Itachi stuck to his word and trained Sasuke when they got home, Hagami could not as she was summoned to the Hokage's Office. She had apologized in a flustered manner which ultimately ended when she patted Sasuke's head and then fled the scene. When she made it to the Hokage's Office, she entered upon knocking to see Hiruzen as well as a familiar shinobi beside him.

"Kakashi-san." Hagami greeted him surprised to see him in a standard Jōnin uniform. "Did you...?"

"Ah, I resigned my place as an Anbu." Kakashi confirmed her thoughts. "And I'm apparently becoming a Jōnin of Konoha. I'm going to be a mentor, or Sensei as my students will refer to me as when I start." Hagami tilted her head, the surprise continuing to flow into her veins. The thought of him resigning had occurred to her a few times but she had never thought that he would become a Sensei to younger ninja.

"I never pegged you as a Sensei." Hagami blurted out, surprising herself now. "O-Oh, gomenasai (sorry)." She added immediately after.

"It's fine." Kakashi said holding his hand up.

"Ahem! Hagami, I called you hear for a reason." Hiruzen raised his voice slightly and Hagami flinched back into place. Her arms were straight by her side and her shoulders were pressed back rigidly. The last thing she wanted was to piss off Hiruzen.

"Gomenasai." She apologized again while Hiruzen sighed. He replied with the same thing Kakashi. "Oh, um, I also have to decline your request for me to join the Anbu Black Ops too. I think I'm better off being a Jōnin instead."

"I appreciate your honesty." Hiruzen said nodding earnestly. "You will remain a Jōnin and I even have something planned for you now that you've given me that answer. Kakashi here, as you know, will be taking on Squads of his own as a Sensei now. And you've been wanting to go solo on your missions from now on but unfortunately, that's against policies of being a Jōnin prior to me checking them — you either have to be older or accompanied by another older ninja. In other words now, I'll pair you up with Kakashi so you can tag along with him during his time working with his Squads."

Hagami's eyes widened again in surprise. She was just getting more and more surprised the moment she walked into Hiruzen's Office.

"H-Hai." Hagami said blinking a few times. "Wait a minute, when you say you're pairing me up, am I helping or just observing from the background? Also, will I be able to take on missions while I'm in this position or am I strictly restricted to work on the Squad?"

"You'll be able to take mission but not as often as you used to. Kakashi will begin next week to take Squads which is when his first round of students will be graduating." Hiruzen answered. "And you're going to help him in any way he needs it though you may intervene if you'd like, or you see it fit. Make sure you're using good judgement too."

"I understand." Hagami's face turned serious again. "I'll do my best." She began to turn away from Hiruzen and Kakashi, "If this is all, may I leave?"

"Ah, go ahead." Hiruzen said nodding. "Be sure you remember that you start next week though. And also-" Hagami nodded before Hiruzen could finish his sentence. It seemed he had forgotten momentarily that Kakashi was still in the room and she ducked out.

By the time Hagami made it home, she figured out that Fugaku was still at the Police Force, possibly staying overnight again. And Itachi was on a mission. Sasuke was still at the Academy, according to Mikoto who was in the kitchen. But it wasn't long after Hagami had been home when someone was at the door. She snapped her book shut before they could knock having sensed their chakra first.

Knock. Knock. Knock.

"W-Who is it?" She asked whilst in the process of walking over to the door. She slid the door open cautiously when she didn't get an answer.

"Kon'nichiwa (Hello), Hagami-san." Izumi appeared in her line of vision making Hagami raise her brows.

"Kon'nichiwa, Izumi-san, how are you?" Hagami asked and opened the door all the way. However, Izumi didn't walk in, she just motioned for Hagami to come outside with her. "What?" Hagami looked at her confusedly.

"I figured we could take a walk." Izumi answered and Hagami shook her head, trying to clear her shrouding thought.

"Gomen, I'm just tired right now." Hagami excused sheepishly and called to Mikoto that she'd be out for a while. Walking out behind Izumi, they quickly delve into a conversation.

"I've heard that you're going to be a Jōnin and tagging along with a Sensei to help him with a Squad." Izumi began.

"How long were you outside our house? Or did I just not hear you when you knocked?" Hagami asked.

"I overheard the last bit of the conversation. I merely connected the dots prior." Izumi answered with a chuckle. "So, are you excited to be able to do that? Take a Squad under your wing?"

"Ah, it sounds fun." Hagami admitted. "But I'm a little worried about the actual Sensei, Kakashi-san."

"Oh, Kakashi's become a Jōnin and is now a Sensei?" Izumi asked surprised now.

"Mhm. I get to work beside him and I'm both excited but anxious that I'll be working under him." Hagami chuckled nervously. "How about we go get some dango? It's been a really long time since we've seen each other because we're constantly on mission."

"Dango? That sounds like a great idea!" Izumi agreed immediately as they walked out of the Clan grounds. Villagers greeted her every once and a while as they walked to the nearest dango shop that they normally went to if Itachi was around. Unbeknownst to Hagami for a while, Itachi loved sweets and she still held that over his head every once and a while. "But...are you going to get any? Because last time I saw you slip your's to Itachi." Izumi narrowed her eyes at Hagami making her laugh sheepishly.

"Ah well, Itachi's not here and neither is Shisui so I'll eat my share this time." Hagami joked along with her and she pushed the drapes out of the way before the entrance of the shop. The two ordered some dango and then took a seat in the shop. Hagami saw no need to go walking around whilst she brought one of the tri-colored dumplings to her mouth. The sweet taste was almost overwhelming to her but she managed to shove the feeling away for Izumi's sake. She didn't want to be the one to offer to go get dango and then not eat it.

"So, are you going to test out of being Genin being soon? I've heard that the Chūnin Exams are nearing." Hagami raised her eyebrows interestedly.

"Yeah! I'm going to pass the first time I enter the Chūnin Exams. Of course, I'm going to have to try to get my two other teammates to accept too..." Izumi scratched her head slightly knowing that convincing her two teammates wouldn't be the easiest. "You're lucky you didn't have to partake in these Exams. You go promoted earlier."

"Ah, well," Hagami held her hands up defensively as she held her dango stick in her mouth.

"I'm just kidding Hagami-san." Izumi laughed hard enough that she had to hold her stomach. "Be sure to cheer me on though when the Chūnin Exams roll around by the way. I'm sure I'll pass with flying colors!"

"I'm sure you will too." Hagami said thoughtfully.

This is what I wish the Clan would be like, a family and protector to Konohagakure while putting differences aside. Hagami thought distantly.