Chapter 1: Normal Day? Part 1

(Second Person POV)

You were in school. Everything the teacher was speaking was going in through one ear and out the other. You totally could not wait for the end of class. IT WAS YOUR LAST DAY OF SCHOOL! However, even though you were excited, it wasn't a pleasant thought that the teachers were giving you homework assignments for over the summer: such as reading and writing essays on how you're to summer vacation was. Easy, but somewhat dull.

School itself wasn't too bad. The teachers liked you, you got excellent grades, and everyone enjoyed your company. You mostly hung out with Lewis, Franny, and Goob, two of which were orphans from the nearby orphanage. Your life was enjoyable, but something was missing, you had always felt. You wanted to have a little fun, maybe even adventure. Of course, you knew it was silly, but you would daydream about it a lot anyway.

You were a pretty thirteen-year-old girl with (H/l) (H/c) hair. You had beautiful (E/c) eyes that sparkled during the day and reflected the stars at night. You were always being helpful to everyone and were friendly to the people around you; however, you could be a little sassy and stubborn, even clumsy at times. But overall, you were a good kid.

Finally, the bell rang for dismissal, and everyone shot up and ran out of school. You just lingered behind, somewhat daydreaming, when Lewis came up to you and asked,
"Hey, (Y/n)! You want to come to the orphanage with me and Goob? I want to show you something."

"Sure, why not? What do you want to show me?" you replied without hesitation.

"You'll see!" he grinned.

You just rolled your eyes and gave him a smirk. He smiled back and took you and Goob to the orphanage. He was leading you two inside when Mildred stopped him.
"Hello, (Y/n), is Lewis going to show you his project?"

"Yeah, I guess so," you replied.

Lewis was quickly growing impatient.
"Mildred....!" Lewis whined

She chuckled and said, "Alright, go on."

Before you could say anything else, Lewis dragged you and Goob upstairs to the roof where he had been brainstorming ideas. He showed you a page in his notebook. It had a sketch of a small machine with different problems written beside it.
"I am going to make a device that can read human and inhuman thoughts!" he exclaimed.

(Lewis's POV)

"I am going to make a device that can read human and inhuman thoughts!" I exclaimed.

(Y/n) looked thrilled, her eyes shining with awe. I had known (Y/n) ever since she moved into the neighborhood, and she was a good friend to me, besides Goob.

"This is what he has been working on the last few days," Goob said to (Y/n). "And it's been keeping me up all night. So I have to try and block all the noise-" he let out a yawn.

"Oh my, maybe you should not stay up, so all night working on it..." (Y/n) said, turning to me.

"Well, I have to get this done for the next science fair. It's not too far from now," I insisted.

She put a hand on my shoulder and smiled sweetly.
"I know, but you are a smart kid, heck, a lot smarter than me. And I know you can finish this in no time. But don't you think your working too hard?" she asked with a bit of concern in her voice.

"I'm fine, don't worry about me. I am a smart kid remember? You said so yourself," I replied.

She just laughed and took a look at my notebook.
"Yeah, but still-... hey, who's this?" she asked, turning to a different page.

She was looking at a picture Wilbur took with me. I told (Y/n) a while back about the adventure I had with Wilbur and such. She had said she wanted to meet him someday and go to the future. I told her that he visited me every once in a while, so I would let her know the next time he arrived. It was the reason she daydreamed so much.

"Oh, that's Wilbur," I said.

She examined the picture some more, and a smile slowly curled on her lips.
"What's the future like again? Is it all high-tech, or is it like now but more advanced?" she asked curiously.

I smiled and said,
"Yeah, something like that. There are robots and flying cars... it's pretty incredible."

She glowed with excitement. She always loved the story about my time in the future.
"Will I ever be able to go there?" she asked hopefully.

I just shrugged. (Y/n) looked at the picture a little longer and flipped through the pages, Goob looking at them over her shoulder (he didn't know about my adventure but didn't ask about it either). I just looked at the sky and thought, 'I wonder what Wilbur would think of (Y/n). Would they get along?'
I chuckled to myself. (Y/n) looked at me with a confused look. She was tilting her head ever so slightly as if to ask what I was thinking. I just smiled and shrugged it off.

(Goob's POV)

I kept looking at the different inventions that Lewis had sketched out. I looked up at (Y/n) and noticed she was daydreaming again. I rolled my eyes and smiled slightly. I liked having her around. She was fun to be around. Most of the kids at school made fun of me and teased me a lot, but (Y/n) stood up for me and was always by my side.

"Guys, I think we should head inside," I said, wanting to take a nap.

Lewis nodded and started heading towards me when (Y/n) stopped him.
"Is it okay if I stay here overnight? I don't think Mildred would mind..." she trailed off.

Lewis made a frown and asked,
"Is it because of your foster parents?"

She nodded slowly and looked at her shoes. Her foster parents were pretty cruel. It was a wonder why they even bothered taking up the job, besides the money.
"Yeahhh... will that be okay? If I stay with you..."

"Of course," Lewis assured her.

"Yes!" She pulled Lewis and me into a hug. Then headed to the door but stopped.

"By the way, how's Carl coming?" she asked.

"Very good, actually."

(Y/n) nodded and went downstairs. Lewis looked at me.
"Maybe it's time we told Mildred about (Y/n)'s situation. Maybe she can stay here permanently."

I nodded. We both walked inside and found Mildred.