Chapter 24: Deactivate Automatic Apparatus

(Wilbur's POV)

As (Y/n) slept silently, I could hardly think of anything but her. If the guy in charge wanted us all dead, then I'd only have so much time with her. The idea of never seeing (Y/n) laugh again, or smile, or of us ever having a future together saddened me.

I was interrupted from my thoughts when about six or seven guards walked in line right into our prison cell room. Each guard was carrying a large weapon and stood in front of each cell.
"Finally we can get this over with," one said.

"When do we begin?" another asked.

"Be patient, A.I.R. will let us know," a female guard replied.

The people in each of the cells began to shout and scream at them. They banged on the bars and hurled insults at the suited men and women. Only about a handful actually stayed against the back of the cell, knowing something bad was about to happen to them. Some shook the cell doors trying to open them, but they were tightly locked with electric locks.

I frowned and looked at (Y/n), who was still sleeping through the racket.

Forcing a smile, I tried not to think of our near-death situation.
"(N/n). Hey, you gotta wake up," I said, shaking her gently.

(Y/n) stirred, taking out a deep breath.

"Hey, they're here," I said, shaking her again.

Finally, she yawned and opened her eyes slightly.
"Hmm? What?" she asked groggily, looking up at me with heavy eyes.

"You feeling better?"

"A little."

"Metalhead's guards are here."

(Y/n)'s eyes widened.
"Now?"

"Yeah."

"Oh... what now?" she asked.

I pursed my lips and looked back at the guards who were ignoring the shouting of the people, waiting patiently for orders.
"There's something I need to say first," I replied, looking back at (Y/n).

She looked over at the guards worriedly before turning to me.
"What is it?"

I looked into her eyes, her beautiful face was making me feel less confident. But there wasn't much time. We had maybe a few minutes, I would have been lucky if I had enough time to say what I wanted to.

I turned my body to face her and grinned nervously.
"So... (Y/n). I... uh," I scratched the back of my neck and looked away, searching for the right words, "you know I've been... I've been meaning to tell you that..."

"QUIET!" a guard shouted, kicking at our cell's bars. (Y/n) and I looked over at the people to see what they would do. And, ignoring the guard, the angry teenagers only got louder.

All of a sudden, someone from another cell room could be heard shouting, "THE LOCKS TURNED OFF!"

That sentence caught our attention. Everyone, including the guards, turned to look in the direction of the shout. The teens all stopped talking and stayed quiet to hear what was going on outside our cell room.

More shouting and talking came from the same direction. It grew louder and louder, and I could tell it was coming from a large number of people. Were our locks unlocked as that one person had exclaimed?

The younger kids began whispering questions to the teenagers. What silenced them was the sound of thousands of running feet heading towards our cell room. Even the guards realized that and looked at each other with puzzled expressions.

Finally, the reason for the noise was clear when a stampede of adults rushed into the room with angry and worried looks on their faces. The guards were shocked, pointing their weapons at the people. But before they could shoot at them, the mob snatched the weapons away.