Chapter 6: Meet the Robinsons

(Your POV)

Lewis started to clean inside the engine of the time machine, taking out the other balls he found. I just helped bring him whatever he needed. He worked on it for about ten minutes until a speaker sounded.
"Wilbur, come upstairs. It's time for dinner.

"Not now, mom."

"If you don't come up in five minutes, I'm going to come down and get you!"
Wilbur sighed and looked at me.

"We'd better go up there."

"Are you sure? I can stay down here-"

"I insist. You are my guest. I would never leave you down here," he turned to Lewis. "You should probably stay, though."

"Figures."

"Okay then. Follow me."

Wilbur led me over to a travel tube.
"You ready?"

I grinned sheepishly.
"I guess."

Wilbur tightly put an arm around my shoulder and stepped under the tube, taking us to the dining room where his whole family was seated. I landed on my bottom with an "oof." He laughed and pulled me back up.

"There you are, Wilbur. Oh, who's your friend?" a lady with dark hair asked.

"Oh... hey mom, this is (Y/n). She is a friend of mine from school," he said.

She smiled kindly at me and put her hands on her knees.
"It's nice to meet you (Y/n). I am Franny Robinson, Wilbur's mom."

"Nice to meet you to Mrs. Robinson," I said shyly.

She tapped my nose and winked.
"You call me Franny. Now, come and sit next to me. That way, we can get acquainted." She pushed me into a seat in between her and Wilbur.

Carl stood at the head of the table.
"Well, everyone! Dinner is served!" he said.

Suddenly a bunch of mini Carls popped out of his chest and served each person a big plate of spaghetti. I smiled and smelled the tasty aroma of the food in front of me.
"Mmmm...."

"I wanted Sloppy Joes!" I heard someone shout. I realized it was Fritz's puppet- or wife- Petunia.

I marveled at the background music I was hearing and realized it was coming from above. Looking up, I smiled in wonder, realizing that frogs were playing their instruments on top of the chandelier. Who knew frogs could be such good musicians?

(Franny's POV)

"So (Y/n). How long have you and Wilbur been friends?" I asked.

She looked at me uncomfortably.
"Well, uhm..."

"We go way back. She's a close friend of mine," Wilbur answered. (Y/n) looked at him surprisingly.

"That's good to know. I'm glad Wilbur has such a 'close friend,'' I said, smiling in a teasing manner.

Wilbur facepalmed. (Y/n) looked at him and whispered something to him.

"By gosh, you are quite a beauty, young lady," Lucille said.

(Y/n) smiled bashfully.
"Thank you."

"Well, I couldn't help but notice. Do you have a boyfriend?"

"No."

"Oh, come on, you can be honest with us," Lucille said.

Everybody agreed.

"No, I don't think anyone has ever taken an interest in me," (Y/n) said.

"What?" Aunt Billie asked loudly.

"You're kidding us, right?" Tallulah asked.

"Yeah, I don't think anyone finds me pretty anyway..."

"Now now, the way you look isn't what matters; it's the heart that counts," Lucille said.

"Heh-heh, yes sir, reminds me of when Lucille and I first met. Boy, she was a wild young rascal!" Grandpa Bud added.

"Oh, Bud!"

"Now, Lucille, you know I wouldn't want you any different."

Wilbur glanced at (Y/n) but only for a second.

"Now maybe you just haven't met the right person yet!" Lazlo said.

"Yeah (Y/n)! Besides, if you want, you just could always come and visit us. We love it when Wilbur brings his friends over!" Uncle Gaston said.

"I'll keep that in mind," (Y/n) replied, grinning.

"There is nothing wrong with just being single either," said Fritz. He covered his mouth and whispered, "Trust me, I should know."

"What's that supposed to mean?!" Petunia shouted in her usual cranky tone.

"Now, sweetie-"

"I don't want to hear anymore!"

We continued talking for a while till everybody finished their meal

(Wilbur's POV)

"Thanks for dinner, Mrs. Robinson," (Y/n) told my mom.

"Just call me Franny, sweetie. Our home is your home," mom replied.

(Y/n) nodded. I noticed she had some marinara on her cheek still. I got her attention and pointed to my cheek, trying to show her she had food on her face.
"You um..."

She looked confused at first but then realized what I meant and wiped her face.
"That's embarrassing," she whispered to herself.

"Of course, have more manners," I said, teasing.

(Y/n) raised a brow.
"Oh really? So I shouldn't do..." she grabbed a handful of my spaghetti and shoved it in my face. "... This?" She chuckled.

I smiled mischievously and grabbed a handful of my spaghetti, throwing it at her. She gasped and ducked, letting it hit my mom.

We stopped moving and stared at her in shock. That's when the food fight began. Every man and woman for themselves. Nobody got very messy but, It was enjoyable.

"That was fun," (Y/n) said sarcastically, laughing. "I wish I had a family who was as good to me as you guys are."

As my mom started talking to her, Carl signaled to me that we needed to talk. I slipped under the table, he put his head under and shouted quietly, "Don't you think we should take her back to THE PAST NOW!?!"

"Carl, you're all wound up. Just take a breather and relax! Look at her; she is enjoying herself, so I'll ask her and see what she says about leaving. Everything is going to be a-okay," I sat back down in my seat.

Carl just shook his head and started grabbing dishes. "Okay, everyone. I hope you all enjoyed dinner," Carl said.

I turned to (Y/n).
"Do you want to go home now... ?"

"Uhh-"

"Oh! (Y/n), it's kind of late. Maybe you should stay the night!" Mom interrupted.

(Y/n) looked at me with wide eyes.
"Uh..."

"Wonderful! Um, will you excuse me for a second?" Mom pulled me away from her, turning to me.

"What did (Y/n) mean when she said 'I wish I had a family?' "

"Oh, she is an orphan..."

"AN ORPHAN?!? This isn't like when you took your father from the past to this time period, is it?"

"... uh- no, of course not."

"Alright then, Wilbur, you better be telling me the truth."