Chapter 21: Unexpected Visitors

(Your POV)

I spent the next half hour trying to convince myself not to worry about Wilbur. I figured I was being overboard, and I needed to relax.

My stomach kept growling at me, so to distract myself from the hunger I would play around with the only things in my reach. Such as taking off my headband and spinning it around my finger or playing thumb war with myself. My book I had borrowed was too far away to reach, so that wasn't an option.

"He's okay..." I repeated to myself.

'... but... then again, a lot has happened already. It's not impossible that he was taken along with everyone else..'

BuddaBumBuddaBumBuddaBumBum!

"What the- what was.. what was that?" I asked myself, confused about why there was a trumpet chorus coming from the front door.

It went off again, seeming to be a little bit louder. I sat in bed, looking at the door to my room with furrowed eyebrows, listening to the tune every time it went off. Since I couldn't get out of bed to investigate, I tried to figure out what it was.

Following the several performances I was forced to hear, I finally realized what was going on.
"Ohhh, that must be their doorbell. I remember Wilbur saying something about that..."

The 'doorbell' was sort of catchy, but it meant someone was at the door. I sat in the bed helplessly, fidgeting with my blanket, wishing I could see who was there. Again and again, the doorbell would ring. Nothing made me go insane more inside than at that moment. I really wanted to move around, and the fact someone was at the door wasn't helping. The doorbell kept ringing over and over and over, Wilbur didn't seem to want to answer it.
"WILBUR! CAN YOU PLEASE GET THE DOOR?" I shouted, putting the headband back on.

I waited for the familiar sound of footsteps followed by voices, but none came. I started getting nervous, but I assured myself not to worry.

Knock Knock Knock

'Why isn't he answering? Is he worried because our safety is at stake?'

Knock Knock Knock

"WILBUR!" I called, feeling slightly impatient.

BuddaBumBuddaBumBuddaBumBum!

"Just come back later," I mumbled, irritatedly.

But whoever was there persisted. They seemed very determined for someone to let them in, and just would not stop ringing or knocking. For what seemed like hours, all I heard was a 'knock knock' or what I called 'trumpet auditions for a parade' every three to five seconds. I wanted to explode. I had reasons in my head to be upset.

First, I was hungry. My stomach wouldn't stop making sounds as if a whale was dying inside of me. And I noticed I was getting slight hunger pains. I became pretty grumpy and began showing it by mumbling sarcasm at the doorbell ringer, rolling my eyes, moaning or grumbling, and just overall acting like someone was blowing a bullhorn in my ear.

Second, I was restless. I couldn't move anywhere or get my own food. I couldn't even go to the bathroom if I wanted, nor could I move into a more comfortable position. I could only lie down on my back or sit up. I wanted to go outside badly and run in circles or at least play Chargeball, but nooo. I just had to get a broken leg and be cared for by a teenager who was nowhere to be found.

And third, the doorbell was probably just as annoyed as I was. It wouldn't stop being rung by whoever was at the door. My ears were gonna start ringing themselves if this character didn't leave.