Chapter 13

I couldn't get the image of Derek and Audrey kissing out of my head. I'd lain awake for hours last night, fighting back tears that eventually poured down my cheeks. I'd cried, my face buried deep in the pillows so as to muffle my hiccuping sobs, praying that I wouldn't wake anyone up. In the morning my cheeks were tear-stained and my eyes were rimmed in red.

It was safe to say that I looked horrible.

Though I could see in their eyes that they wished to ask me why, my maids cleaned away the dried makeup and helped me into my day dress without question. They knew that if I wanted to explain I would.

I sat quietly at breakfast, mindlessly moving my food around my plate while Liana chatted with Rowan and Eveline. I could feel Everly's eyes on me from the Royal table, as well as James, who was standing guard at the doors. I avoided their gaze, focusing on my food while Audrey chattered in front of me.

"Erika, is something wrong?" Liana nudged my shoulder as the two sets of Kings and Queens excused themselves from the meal, followed by the younger members of each royal family.

"I'm fine." I smiled weakly, glancing up as Sage and Kamryn excused themselves as well.

"Are you sure? You're being really quiet." Liana turned to face me fully.

I nodded my head quickly, watching as Audrey not so discreetly eyed Derek from her seat. I could practically feel my heart tighten as images of last night resurfaced in my mind. I glanced up at Derek, watching as he laughed with Genevieve and Samuele.

It wasn't that I was mad at him for kissing someone else, though the thought of it still made my heart twinge. I knew that he would kiss the others, knew that he had to. It was the fact that he didn't see through Audrey's mask and chose to kiss her out of all the girls here.

Derek's gaze roved the room until his eyes landed on me. I could see his eyes soften, watched as his mouth curved up into the sweet grin I'd found myself looking forward to each day.

But instead, this morning, his smile only made me think of the one he'd given Audrey last night.

I stood up suddenly, my knee banging against the table. "Ex-Excuse me," I stammered, unable to look at Derek as I nearly tripped out the door.

I could hear silent murmurs behind me, the sound of chair legs scraping the floor, but I didn't care; my focus was on getting out, away from that heartbreaking smile and Audrey's sneering red lips.

I turned the corner, hearing footsteps behind me. I cursed silently as my heel snagged on the floor and a hand spun me around.

Liana stared at me, concern etched across her face. "Erika. What on earth is wrong?"

I swallowed, staring at my friends features, but the words couldn't come out. I was frozen, Liana's hands gripping my shoulders as Derek walked up behind her.

"Are you two alright?" Derek looked between us, his brow furrowed in worry and confusion. I could only stare at him, trying to keep from crying or exploding with anger.

Liana turned to follow my gaze, her face hardening as she looked at Derek. "Oh, hell no. What did you do?" She glared, storming up to him.

"Liana-" I could only croak out before yet another pair of hands gently, but forcefully pulled my friend away from the prince.

"Now, that's probably not a good idea," Samuele cooed, glancing between Derek and I as he held onto Liana's shoulders. "Let's let these two chat, shall we?" He looped his arm through hers, pulling a spluttering Liana away from us.

I could still hear my friend cursing at the Italian prince as Derek and I looked at each other. His blue eyes searched mine, waiting for an answer I didn't want to give. Instead, I tore my gaze away from him, turning on my heel to leave.

His hand snatched out before I could get far, gently turning me so that I was again facing him.

"Erika, darling, what is it? Did I do something to upset you?" I could see him scouring his brain, wondering what he'd done on a date to make me so upset.

But that was what was so heartbreaking. He'd done nothing wrong on any of our dates. Had I not seen him last night, we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

Still, I couldn't stop the ice in my voice. "Why don't you ask Audrey? You two seemed fairly friendly last night."

He stopped suddenly. "Erika. You and I both know there are other girls here too."

"This is the Selection, Derek. I think I damn well know that you're going to kiss other girls," I snapped. "What I don't understand is why you chose to kiss her."

His eyes widened in surprise but quickly narrowed. "I don't have to explain every decision I make to you."

"Oh, you don't?" I yanked my arm out of his hand. "So you just expect me to wait in the dark while you figure out what you want? How am I supposed to wait when I don't even know what I'm waiting for?"

He waited a beat before responding. "What is that supposed to mean?" I could feel the hurt and confusion in his voice.

I stared at him, feeling my confusion about how I felt for him, my sadness, and my jealousy swirl in my stomach. "I like you, Derek. Maybe I even love you. But how am I supposed to know how you feel about me? I feel like I barely even know the you beneath the title and the suits."

"You know me, Erika. You know me just like I know you." Derek whispered, taking a small step towards me.

"Maybe I do. Maybe I don't," I backed away and this time he didn't follow. "But how can I say I know you when I don't even know what you do for fun, when you're just Derek."

"I've always been just Derek with you, Erika," he held his hands out to me. "Why does what I do for fun matter so much to you?"

"Because it makes you real," I frantically wiped more tears out of my eyes. "Because it makes me realize that even though you're a prince, you're still a person. Because it makes me hope that you could see a girl like Audrey and still choose someone like me."

I looked through my eyes, welled with tears, to see Derek gaping back at me. My voice hoarse, I turned to leave, not waiting to hear his response.

But this time he didn't follow.
  _________________________
Yikes, this was a hard chapter to write. Fights are not easy.

Even with the unfortunate drama, I hope you guys enjoyed!

I just want to say thanks to all those who continuously comment and vote. This means so much to me and your feedback and compliments mean the world to me!

Please comment and vote, I love you all!

xoxo, _lovemultifandoms_