Chapter 27

Yesterday had passed in a blur, but today seemed to be extra long. I'd woken up earlier than usual and was the first to arrive at breakfast, besides the royal family. When I'd walked in, Derek had straightened, like he was about to walk over, but Fallon arrived before he could. I was sure the disappointment was clear on my face.

I could barely eat, I was so excited. The knowledge that I would see my family again was all I could think about. I couldn't wait to see Amber in the palace and give Mom a chance to be pampered. I wanted to finally end my silent fight with Annika and see my brothers again. I was terrified but I couldn't wait to introduce Derek to them, especially Dad. The fact that Derek could be my future husband, my future family, gave me a weird, happy tingle. I was nervous for him to meet my family, but excited at the same time.

I was glad to see that I wasn't the only one freaking out. Almost all the other girls seemed as excited as I was, except Liana. I knew she wasn't thrilled to see her family, but I was hopeful that she could avoid them as much as possible. I'd told her the other day that if they ever got to be too much, she was welcome to join my family.

After breakfast, I went back to my room and tried my best to calm down. I'd tried reading, playing the piano, even cleaning with Beth, but the clock seemed to tick even slower. In an effort to waste time, I'd asked Elisa and Cora to help me get ready as slow as humanly possible. I didn't want to look too different, to show that I was still Erika, but at the same time I wanted to look like who I was becoming. I wasn't just a clumsy farmgirl from Kent anymore. Coming to the palace, meeting Derek and everyone here, had changed me in more ways than I could count.

Before coming here, every realistic future I'd imagined had me remaining in Kent. If I'd been lucky enough to find someone to marry there, I'd still likely be living on a farm. My home in Kent wasn't the most progressive area; many people tended to marry those who they felt were in the same class. As the second youngest of five children on a small farm, I wouldn't have had much to offer. I wasn't drop-dead gorgeous, had no money to my name, and didn't have a stellar education, though my mother had done her best. The Selection, and Derek, had helped me realize there was more to me than that. He made me feel loved, smart, beautiful, and made me laugh more than a prince should be able to.

Elisa and Cora helped me into a slim fitting, off shoulder emerald green dress and brushed my hair over to one side. I wore my bracelet as always, with Derek's new charms, and a pair of diamond and emerald earrings. I certainly looked glamorous, but not as over the top as I expected some of the other girls to look.

Soon enough, night had fallen and I found myself waiting for the limousines. Derek and his family were grouped near the stairs while Celia stood with us. We were a nervous bunch, in jewel-colored gowns; some of the Elite had put out all the stops in the hopes of impressing their families. Still, in all of our glitz and glamour, I could see the other girls bouncing on their feet just like I was. I itched to see my parents and siblings.

Suddenly, the first set of limos pulled up and we broke into a frenzy. Eveline bounded over to a fourteen year old boy who shared her dark skin and caramel colored eyes. Both Kamryn and Fallon hugged their little sisters, while Audrey and Rowan embraced their parents. Suddenly, I caught a familiar flash of light brown hair and couldn't stop my squeal as I rushed over.

Amber was as tiny as ever, just like Mom; I lifted her up easily and hugged her tightly. "Ambs!"

She threw her arms around my neck, her hair flying in all directions. "Erika! I've missed you so much!" I grinned and set her back down on the floor, awkwardly smoothing my dress down. I felt suddenly out of place; my sister was wearing a pair of jeans, cowboy boots, and one of my old sweaters.

My parents rushed up suddenly, arm in arm. My mother was wearing one of her flowered dresses, blonde hair pulled into its usual messy bun, my father in his nicest jeans and a red flannel shirt. I felt my grin grow wider and all but threw myself at them. Mom had started to cry, but Dad wrapped his arms around both of us; I buried my face in his shirt and breathed in the smell of home.

"Oh, look at you," Mom sniffled. "My little girl, all grown up."

"Mom," I began but was interrupted when Kaleb walked up, arms open wide. He was dressed like Dad, as usual, with the widest grin ever. I laughed loudly and jumped into his arms; my dress was rumpled again, but I didn't care. My parents and Amber wrapped their arms around us to form a group hug. I looked up, already feeling who was missing.

Annika and Aidan stood to the side, looking supremely out of place. Aidan's hair was shaggier than usual, so different from his cropped haircut I was used to; he and Kaleb were identical twins, and this was the first time he'd really looked different, with his messy clothes and hair. Annika was wearing one of Mom's dresses; I could see dark circles under her eyes, something we didn't have the money to afford makeup to cover up with. We stared at each other for a few moments before Amber was tugging both her and Aidan over.

"Look at you little sister," Aidan raised his eyebrows when he noticed my dress. "Looking like royalty already." His tone was odd as he surveyed the entryway to the palace; it didn't surprise me though, considering he was used to our tiny two story.

I felt a hand on my bare shoulder and saw Amber's eyes go wide. I looked up to see Derek; he was smiling graciously at my family. I hid my smile as I saw him tap his foot; my parents would see a calm, collected prince while I saw what Derek truly was. A nervous boy meeting a girl's parents for the first time.

"You must be Erika's family," Derek smiled warmly at my parents and siblings. "It's so nice to finally meet you."

Dad tried his best to stare him down while Mom smiled sweetly and nodded. Amber squealed and clapped a hand over her mouth.

Derek glanced at her. "Amber, right? Your sister has told me so much about you." Amber nearly fainted as Derek politely kissed her hand. I smiled to myself, remembering how I'd swooned when he'd kissed mine after our first date.

I could see Mom trying not to fuss over us while the boys watched his every move. Derek placed his hand against my shoulder again and smiled at my family. "I have to go introduce myself to the other families, but please, if you need anything don't hesitate to ask me. Someone will help you with your things in just a moment."

He squeezed my shoulder and placed a brief kiss on my cheek. "I'll see you later." He spoke before grinning and moving over to Kamryn's family.

Mom and Amber were already swooning over Derek while my brothers and Dad shot daggers at him with their eyes. I rolled my eyes at their antics and turned to look at Annika. She opened her mouth, about to speak, but closed it and turned away.

This was going to be an interesting visit.
__________________________
You guys seriously have no idea how happy I am that Erika's family is back. I haven't been able to really write about them since Another Selected (even then it was brief) and this means my plans are finally moving into motion😉

QOTC: Least favorite character in my selection fanfics? (Doesn't have to be a mean/evil person lol. it could even be a main character. I promise I won't get offended)

AOTC: Teegan, from the first book. She bothered me and had no point to the story so I eliminated her haha.

Please comment and vote, I love you all!

xoxo, _lovemultifandoms_