Chapter 30

Dinner was arranged quite differently than usual; instead of one long table for the Elite, four large circular tables were arranged in front of the Royal Family. I saw Liana sitting stone-faced with her family and made a beeline for them. There was just enough room for my family to squeeze in as I plopped into the seat next to Lia.

She lifted her face from her chin. "What're you doing?"

"Sitting," I rolled my eyes and lowered my voice. "You haven't talked to me all week. What's wrong?"

"Nothing's wro-" Liana began before her mother interrupted.

"Liana, dear! Why haven't you introduced us?" Liana's mother had the same coloring as her, but that was where the similarities ended. Her face was pinched, as if she'd spent a lifetime pursing her lips. She was rather bony and her makeup was severe, making her face look even thinner.

Annoyance flashed in Liana's eyes. "This is Erika Carpenter. Erika, this is my mother."

Mrs. Walsh smiled sourly. "Oh, Erika Carpenter. Yes, I remember seeing you on the Report. I'm sure the Palace is a welcome change from your little farm in Kent."

I felt my parents stiffen at her words while Kaleb glared. I looked at her, smiling as sweetly as I could. "Yes, it's quite different. And I'm sure it must be nice not being the one to serve everyone else."

Liana's family owned a small restaurant in Allens; it was a low blow, but neither of my parents were going to say something. Liana snickered into her napkin as her mother glared at me. Mr. Walsh was silent beside them, focused on his food, while Liana's sister and her husband whispered to each other. Her brother was trying to hide his laughter, ignoring their mother's looks.

Dad gripped Mom's hand and stared ahead. He wouldn't dare cause a scene in the palace, but he was extremely prideful of our farm and the generations that had run it. Any rude or untoward comments about the farm would be unwelcome; Mom was what kept him from confronting Mrs. Walsh.

Amber, bless her, piped up quickly, preventing the conversation from taking a worse turn. "Dessert!"

Dessert was indeed being passed out. Rich chocolate cake topped with vanilla bean ice cream; one of my personal favorites. I dug into the delicacy, everyone following suit in order to avoid speaking. Annika and Aidan were both distracted, forks idly twirling around their plates. There was something different about both of them and it wasn't just Aidan's hair.

Kaleb was talking animatedly with Amber. He seemed happy and I hoped meeting Elisa had something to do with it. Kaleb and Aidan were identical twins, with the same brown hair and blue eyes, yet Aidan had always seemed to be the one girls in Kent liked. Kaleb had always been my favorite brother, but he'd never thought highly of himself. Elisa, with her unbridled kindness and good heart, would be sure to change his self-confidence; I could only hope that one of them would make a move.

Forks clinked and chairs scraped as we all stood up to leave; with dinner finished, everyone was exhausted. Liana scurried off quickly, pushing her family out the door; I still hadn't gotten a chance to really talk with her.

My parents stood arm in arm. "We'll see you kids later."

I frowned and held back while my siblings waited. "What're you guys doing?"

"Oh, nothing," Mom shrugged, but there was a faint smile on her face. Dad just looked confused, as if even he had no idea what they were doing. "Just going for a little walk, to explore the palace a bit."

I raised an eyebrow, not believing her answer. All the other families were filing out the door and I could hear Amber calling my name. I could see Derek, still at the front; he looked nervous but he wasn't moving. I opened my mouth to speak again before Mom gently pushed me out the doors and into Aidan's arms. I stumbled back, taking him with me, and we landed in a heap on top of a girl's feet.

She yelped and I caught a glimpse of shiny black hair--Rowan. "Oh my gosh, Row, I'm so sorry!"

She was grimacing and rubbing her foot but stopped quickly when she saw it was me. "It's all right, Erika."

Aidan scrambled to help me up, his eyes widening when he caught a glimpse of her. Great; I could handle one brother falling in love, but not both of them.

Rowan blushed under Aidan's gaze, stepping back beside her parents. Her father had a similar hair color, but she looked nothing like her mother; besides the hair, she didn't look anything like them. I could only assume she was adopted.

"Well, I'll see you later." Rowan stammered and waved goodbye, her parents stepping in behind her.

Aidan was still staring; I slapped his shoulder, turning him away from my friend. "Come on, lover boy. You've got a girl back home."

At my comment he snorted, but still followed, moving up to join Annika. Amber moved back to take my hand, tugging Kaleb with her. She leaned in, a huge grin on her face. "I don't think Mom or Dad ever left that room. And neither did Prince Derek."

I rolled my eyes. "Don't be silly, Amber."

She shrugged but bounced ahead, already walking into my room. Annika had disappeared into her and Mom's, Aidan gone as well. Kaleb followed Amber and I silently.

Amber was already curled up at the vanity table, letting my maids fuss over her. They'd all become rather obsessed with my little sister, insisting on dressing her up and treating her like a real princess, as if she were the little sister they'd never had. Elisa's dark curls were still unbound, her maids cap lying on a table. She turned when we entered, both she and Kaleb freezing as their eyes met. Both glanced at me, as if they were asking for permission; Elisa, because Kaleb was my brother and didn't want to overstep herself. Kaleb, on the other hand, had never been great with girls.

"You two are ridiculous," I groaned, running a hand through my hair. "You don't need my permission to talk to each other."

Beth and Cora exchanged glances--clearly Elisa hadn't mentioned my brother. They were still standing, blushing as they looked at each other. Amber groaned just as loud as I had and stood up suddenly. She grabbed Elisa and pushed Kaleb out the open door. "Talk to her!" She shouted at our older brother before tossing Elisa out after him. She closed the door with a slam and crossed her arms, a smug smile on her face.

"You're quite bold, Miss Amber." Beth smiled, not unkindly, at my sister.

Amber tilted her head. "Not sure if that's a compliment, but thanks."

I snorted but pulled her in for a hug. "It's a compliment, Ambs."

Her smile was contagious. "What if you and Derek and Kaleb and Elisa get married? That'd be amazing!"

I chuckled. "It sure would be."

"Can I be a bridesmaid at you and Derek's wedding?"

"Of course; even if I don't marry Derek you'll be one of my bridesmaids. As long as I can be one of yours." I squeezed her hands.

She squealed and jumped up to hug me. "It's a deal!"
__________________________
Hope you guys liked this! Just a quick chapter, but I can promise you that chapter 31 will be CRAZY. You should all be very worried. Mwahahaha.

QOTC: On a scale of 1-10 how terrified are you for chapter 31?

AOTC: At least an 11. You guys will probably hate me after it.

Anywho, love you all! Please comment and vote!

xoxo, _lovemultifandoms_