Chapter 19

"Is it still raining?" I asked from my bed as I stared at the ornate ceiling.

"I believe your legs are working. You can check yourself." Beth teased as her and Elisa played a game of cards.

"No thanks. Too tired." I giggled, rolling over to bury my face in the plush pillows. I'd been working all morning on preparations for the ball tomorrow evening and I was positively exhausted. I'd barely moved since I'd come back from Eveline's room, where we'd finalized all our decisions.

Cora had left not too long ago to check on my dress. They'd left it somewhere secret, but were still checking on it every so often. None of us wanted a repeat of when my dress had been ruined before the Report. I was curious to see what they'd created but I'd have to wait until tomorrow night.

"I've got it," Elisa set her cards down to pull back the curtains from the windows. "Yep, still pouring."

I groaned into the pillow. I'd wanted to go for a walk down to the stables but the rain had stopped my plans. A stack of unfinished books lay on the desk but I couldn't bring myself to pick any of them up. The piano sat in the corner but I didn't want to move. I was rather content to just sit here and...

"Wake up, Erika!" I felt three sets of arms shake me from my nap. When had I fallen asleep?

I rolled up groggily, watching as Cora tried to smother her laughter. "What?"

"Princess Genevieve has requested you. Officer Leger is here to take you upstairs." Elisa nodded towards the door where James stood waiting, a smirk on his face.

"Okay, okay. I'm getting up." I stepped down from the plush covers as Beth set her hands on her hips exasperatedly.

The metal and trinkets sparkled on James' uniform against the dreary weather outside. His boots were impeccably clean, his uniform straight, and his hair even looked to have been brushed--so different from its usual messy just-got-out-of-bed look.

"Why do you look so nice?" I nudged his shoulder as we walked towards the stairs leading to the third floor.

"What do you mean? I don't look any different than usual," James shrugged, holding an arm out for me to help me up the steps.

"Oh, please. Your uniform is all spiffy and your hair is clean. Do you have a date?" I asked, starting to get excited. Would he be visiting Everly after dropping me off at Genevieve's?

James snorted. "Of course not."

"Liar."

"I'm not lying," he said sharply as we walked up to Gen's door. "I have to look nice for my job."

"Well, you've never looked this nice before." I muttered to myself as he knocked on the door. Clearly I'd hit a sore spot.

Genevieve opened the door a few moments later, wrapped in a deep purple robe. Her hair was partially curled and she held a bottle of nail polish in one hand. "Er! There you are."

"Um, hi. What did you want me for?" I asked, confused as to why I was here.

"Oh, come on," Gen said before grabbing me with her free hand and pulling me inside the room. "Thanks for bringing her, James."

"Anytime," James smiled softly before Genevieve practically slammed the door in his face and dragged me into her bathroom.

"Genevieve, what on earth is going on?" I questioned as she set the bottle of nail polish down on her marbled countertop.

Suddenly her arms were around me and she was squeezing me as close as she possibly could. "I can't effing believe you. I was so damn worried."

I wrapped my arms around her, unsure what to do. "Um, Gen, the rebel attack was nearly a week ago."

"I know, I know. But I haven't had any time to talk to you alone," she pulled away to grab the curling iron, quickly facing me again. "Both you and Derek were just gone. It was awful."

"I know," I spoke quietly, still surprised at how upset she was that I hadn't been in the safe room with her. "But we're both fine. But Derek's safety is a lot more important than mine."

"Don't make me burn you with this," Genevieve pointed her curling iron at me. "You're just as important as him."

"I'm not the crown prince." I rolled my eyes.

She glared at me before sliding the polish to me. Picking up on her cue, I grabbed the bottle and started painting her outstretched fingernails.

"Well, you're my best friend. Losing you would be just as bad as losing Derek," Genevieve spoke as she set the curler down and began pinning pieces of her hair back. "And because you're going to ask, no, Derek has not told me what happened between the two of you."

I blushed; that was exactly what I was going to ask.

Genevieve smirked and held out her other hand for me to paint. "I have a pretty good idea of what it was though."

"Nothing-nothing like what you're thinking," I blushed again as she waggled her eyebrows; her and her dirty mind.

"Yeah, you're right. My brother's too much of a wimp to try anything sexy." Genevieve shrugged as she waved her drying nails in the air.

"Gen. Oh my God." I covered my face in my hands.

She cackled, motioning for me to follow her into the closet. A bag hung on the door, which she opened to reveal a purple dress. A revealing purple dress.

"Zip me up?" Genevieve dropped her robe before shimmying into the tight dress. She certainly had no qualms about being nearly naked.

Rolling my eyes, I helped close the dress up, which hugged her curves perfectly. It was barely more than a slip dress with a long thigh slit, but she wore it perfectly; it was the kind of dress I'd never be able to pull off.

"Wow. Who are you trying to impress?" I asked, knowing already who it was. Her answer revealed my thoughts to be correct.

"Nobody. I'm just having dinner with Derek, Everly, and Sam."

Of course it was Samuele. I hadn't seen him in a week or so, but it was certainly obvious that Genevieve was crushing. Hard. The only question was for how long.

Derek said he and Samuele had been friends for as long as could remember. That meant Genevieve had known him since she was a little girl too. And, to be fair, I probably would have had a crush on him too if I'd been in her place.

Genevieve grabbed a pair of strappy heels, pulling them on as she led me back into the main room. "I just want you to know, I'm glad you and Derek made up. He's been really happy the past week, considering what happened with the attack."

"Thanks. I guess." I stood awkwardly as she glanced in the mirror.

"I can't wait until your brothers and father meet him. He'll be so scared," Genevieve grinned as she swiped dark lipstick across her mouth.

"I can't believe you." I chuckled as I shook my head.

"I know, I'm terrible," she grinned before air-kissing each of my cheeks. "See you at the ball tomorrow!"

"Have fun with Sam!" I teased as she left her room.

A rude gesture was her goodbye as she disappeared around the hall.
_________________________
Hope you guys enjoyed!

QOTC: Current read?

AOTC: Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins!

Please comment and vote! I'd love to hear your thoughts.

xoxo, _lovemultifandoms_