Chapter 25

I woke the next morning to the smell of peppermint and gingerbread. I rolled over in bed to a small silver tray laden with a plate of cookies and a mug of peppermint cocoa. I grabbed a cookie and sipped the warm drink as I unfolded a small note on the tray.

Merry Christmas, Lady Erika! Please join us in the Great Room at 10:00 for gift giving (pajamas required)
Love, the Schreaves

I smiled as I read the note. I was glad that Derek and his family had done their best to make Christmas at the palace feel like home. I knew I missed my family and I was sure that most of the other girls did as well.

"Merry Christmas, Erika!" I was suddenly wrapped in a hug from Cora and Elisa. Beth stood by the door, a robe in her hands.

"Merry Christmas," I laughed and hugged them back. "What're you all doing here? I made you promise to take a day off."

"And we are! But we had to wish you a merry Christmas first," Elisa giggled as I offered her a cookie from the tray. "And we came to tell you that we've got everything covered for tonight."

I grinned and squeezed her hand in thanks. My maids had helped me organize my gift for Derek; we'd managed to keep it secret and my only worry now was whether or not he'd like it.

"Alright, alright. Enough chit chat," Beth smiled softly as she handed me the soft robe to put over my pajamas. "I know the King and Queen are letting you sleep in, but this is pushing it."

I rolled my eyes but shrugged the robe on as I ate another cookie; they reminded me of my mother's. After another round of hugs, they shooed me out the door and I walked to the Great Room. As I walked through the already open doors, I was greeted with chatter from the Elite and the Royal family.

A large Christmas tree sat in the corner of the room, couches arranged in front of it. Blankets were thrown across them and the floor, and gingerbread and peppermint wafted from more silver trays. A large heap of presents sat under the tree; Princess Marlee and Prince Cade were organizing them into piles.

Derek sat on the floor, Samuele and Genevieve on either side of him. I made my way through the piles of blankets and sat down beside Liana and Rowan. More of the Elite made their way into the room; once everyone was settled in, King Maxon stood.

"Thank you all for coming," Maxon's smile was warm as he gazed at the Elite. "We hope you all feel welcome and at home in the palace this year. It's been our pleasure having you here."

He sat back down and the gift giving commenced. It was much more organized than Christmas back home; my family tended to rip into the gifts, while everyone here took their time to open and appreciate their presents.

Shyly, I reached to give Genevieve and Everly their presents. I tried to be inconspicuous but I still received glares from Audrey and Fallon. They opened the boxes, revealing a simple necklace and bejeweled pen for Genevieve and picture frames for Everly's photos. I was glad to see their beams of happiness and was surprised when they reached over to wrap me in a hug.

Liana was overjoyed with her cookbook. I had barely seen her since the incident with Avalee, and I'd half thought she wouldn't speak to me again. She seemed happy though, throwing me off again. I loved her dearly, she was one of my best friends, but I still couldn't shake the fact that I knew she was hiding something. Derek had chosen to give his gifts to the Elite in private, and I didn't blame him, even though I wondered what he'd gotten for the other Elites. He hadn't given me mine, but if the Elite saw each others gifts it would only cause drama.

Still, that didn't stop us from giving him gifts. I watched as the other girls each handed him boxes, until he was laden with expensive gifts. He looked uncomfortable but thanked them all the same. Hiding a smile, I handed him a flat box. The box and what it contained was mainly for show--the real gift would come later.