Chapter 26

The day after Christmas was always one of my least favorite days of the year. All the presents had been opened and the magic of the holiday had already begun to disappear. New Years Eve was never a special holiday for me either. Annika would spend it with her friends from town and it was one of the few evenings my brothers would find themselves at the bar. Mom and Dad would spend quiet time together, leaving Amber and I to fend for ourselves, not that I minded. I adored her and treasured any sisterly bonding time.

However, this year, I woke up smiling into my pillow. Derek and I had remained in the roof alcove until past midnight, cuddled against each other the whole time. None of my maids had been in my room when I'd returned, so I'd stumbled into bed and fell asleep immediately. Thinking of last night brought another smile to my face as I rolled over in bed, absentmindedly scratching at the paint on my shoulder. Light streamed in from the windows but I had no idea what time it was.

"Morning sleepy head," Cora and Elisa looked up from the sitting area where they were playing a game of cards.

"Morning," I yawned and rubbed the sleep from my eyes. My fingernails were flecked with dried paint. "Where's Beth?"

"Getting your breakfast. The King and Queen allowed everyone to take it in their rooms." Cora set down her cards.

I nodded and walked over to join them. My stomach growled at the mention of breakfast; Derek and I had gotten caught up in each other last night, entirely forgetting the peppermint and chocolate treats.

Beth walked in a few moments later with plenty of blueberry pancakes and bacon to share. As we stuffed our faces, they hammered me with questions about Derek.

"Did he like it?" Cora asked eagerly.

I nodded as I cut into a pancake. "He loved it. He looked so happy."

"Of course he did. The real question is whether or not he kissed you." Elisa waved a piece of bacon at me.

"Elisa!" Beth exclaimed as I giggled.

"Yes, he did. Quite a bit actually. Picked me up and spun me around too."

Cora squealed, pressing her hands to her heart. "Oh, that's so romantic."

Beth rolled her eyes at Cora's swooning but smiled to herself. Though she still thought it scandalous to discuss my romantic happenings with Derek, she'd softened up enough to let Elisa and Cora. It was nice having a motherly influence here, considering I hadn't seen my own mother in months. Thankfully, I'd get to see her and the rest of my family tomorrow evening.

"Did he make any proclamations of love?" Elisa giggled teasingly.

I rolled my eyes at her phrasing but smiled. "He told me that I was beautiful and that he loved me. He called me his heart."

Both Elisa and Cora swooned again. Beth tried to hide her smile but failed. I found myself suddenly immensely grateful for them. I couldn't talk to Liana about Derek without feeling uncomfortable; after all, she was still here fighting for his heart. I couldn't talk to Genevieve or Everly, considering they were his sisters, and it would have been supremely awkward to talk to James about it. My maids were the only people I could tell everything about mine and Derek's relationship.

"Do you think he's going to propose to you?" Beth asked suddenly, very out of character for her usual quiet self.

I paused for a moment to consider her question. "I don't know. I hope so. But there's still six other girls that I don't know how he feels about."

"He called you his heart. And he's in love with you! Prince Derek said so himself," Cora squeezed my hands. "And you'd be the most wonderful princess."

"More like the clumsiest princess."

"Puh-lease. You rarely trip anymore." Elisa rolled her eyes as Beth took our tray; she was again hiding a smile, as if she knew something we didn't.

I laughed and let Cora take me into the bathroom. I didn't want to scrub off the hearts Derek had painted, but they would be hard to cover up. I lowered into the cranberry scented tub and lathered up, letting them put me into a cream colored dress when I'd finished. Elisa was pulling part of my hair back with a pin when she asked me a question that took me by surprise.

"Erika...would you keep us as your maids if you marry the prince?"

"Of course I would!" I exclaimed, looking her in the eye through the mirror. "I couldn't imagine any other girls taking care of me."

She and Cora grinned and finished pinning back my hair. I stood up and pulled them into a hug. When I'd left my home in Kent, my only friends had been my siblings. Now, after coming to the palace, I'd found girls who I considered to be my best friends. It truly was amazing how much my life had changed during my stay in Angeles.
__________________________
Quick little chapter! I'm already writing the next chapter so if I write fast it might be up late tonight or sometime tomorrow.

QOTC: Favorite genre of music?

AOTC: I honestly listen to most genres but I guess my mains are alternative/alternative rock? sometimes pop but my taste ranges so much

Please comment and vote!

xoxo, _lovemultifandoms_