Chapter 22

"I wonder what Christmas at the palace will be like," I commented as I lay sprawled on Liana's bed.

"Over the top," Liana snorted while she picked at a sequin on her dress. "But it'll be better than Christmas at home, that's for sure."

I bit my lip and rolled onto my elbows; I knew Liana's family was a sore subject but I'd never really felt comfortable asking why. "How so?"

"My parents would fight all the time. Mom would want to keep the restaurant open longer while Dad wanted to go home early," she shrugged as she looked out the window. "My sister was always a bitch but she got especially nasty at holidays."

"I'm sorry," I spoke, wishing there was something better for me to say. "Are they going to come to the palace?"

She laughed without humor. "Of course they are. My mother and sister wouldn't miss a chance to act like royalty."

I'd never known the extent of how terrible Liana's family was, but hearing her speak of them made me thankful for my own. Annika and I had been locked in some silent fight since I'd left for the Selection, but at least we'd been close before.

"What about yours? I'm sure Christmas would be crazy with five kids in one house." Liana tore her gaze away from the window to look at me.

"Of course it was. Then add grandparents who can't stand each other."

She sat up at that. "Drama in the Carpenter family? Do tell."

I snorted and rolled my eyes. "My mother's parents never liked my father and his lifestyle on the farm. Even after my brothers were born they didn't trust him because of what happened to my Dad's mother. My Pawpaw was devastated after my grandmother died and he hated how my mother's parents treated them."

"Yikes," she moved to sit beside me. "How often do you see them?"

"Pawpaw lives in the same town so we see him fairly often. We only see my grandparents at holidays."

She nodded. "My Grandma is probably the only good part about my family. She taught me how to cook."

Though Liana was a terrible baker, I'd come to learn that she was a fantastic cook. She'd told me Derek had told the cooks to allow her in whenever she wanted, and most of their dates apparently took place down in the kitchen.

I smiled. "That's sweet. Mine helped my mother teach me the piano."

She grinned but tilted her head. "What about your other grandma? What was she like?"

"I don't know," I shrugged and held up my wrist. "This bracelet is all I have of hers. Pawpaw only talks about her when he gets drunk; and even then it's just nonsense about her saving the country."

Liana reached over to finger the star charm that dangled from the chain. "It's odd. I almost feel like I've seen this before."

I frowned. "It's just a star."

"Yeah, but..." she trailed off. "I don't know. It's probably nothing."

Still, she glanced at my charm with confused looks that I didn't understand. It was a simple four-point star that could have been anywhere on anything. There was nothing special about it in any way, save for the fact that it had been my grandmother's.

She shook her head suddenly, as if dismissing her thoughts. "Whatever. Lets go down to the Women's room and find something to do there."

Generally I would have said no, but I hadn't been down there in days. Audrey had become somewhat bearable and I was sure that Rowan would be there as well. And, I hated to admit it, I was curious to hear if anyone else had been on a date with Derek. I didn't want to be jealous, especially not after he'd blatantly chosen to sneak me into his room, but I was still curious.