Chapter 24

In my seventeen years of life, I'd spent every single Christmas eve at home on the farm. All of those memories were filled with white snow, a small decorated pine tree, and the sweet scent of my mother's gingerbread cookies. Pawpaw would come to visit and I remembered curling up on his lap near the fire with Annika and Amber.

"My sweet little girls," he would smile as he kissed each of our cheeks. Having only one son, he'd always loved us, his granddaughters, more than most grandfathers. It had always surprised my parents, who had assumed he would be most proud of Kaleb and Aidan, but us girls had a soft spot in his heart.

Annika was his first granddaughter and looked just like Mom, who he'd always seen as a daughter, with her short stature, blonde hair, and blue eyes. Amber looked like Dad, and my late grandmother, with her light brown locks; being the youngest as well made her everyone's favorite. I supposed he'd loved me because I was a mixture of my parents. Sometimes, when he was drunk, he'd tell me I reminded him of my grandmother.

Pawpaw was never one for secrets; he was a straightforward, often gruff man with a pension for rules. With a father like that, it was no surprise that my Dad rebelled and married my mother without telling him anything. Most people would assume that Pawpaw was angry because Dad married someone from a caste below him, but anyone who knew him would understand that he was angry because he hadn't been able to see his only child get married.

December was always a difficult time for my parents and Pawpaw. My grandmother was killed at the beginning of the month, the same day my brothers were born. Christmas eve and Christmas day were the few times in the month that they actually seemed happy.

I certainly hadn't expected that I'd spend this Christmas eve at a photoshoot with the other Elite and Derek.

We were all dressed in elegant red gowns, sparkling like the ornaments on the large Christmas tree. After taking hundreds of group shots, the photographers had positioned us in various spots for individual photos.

I was becoming accustomed to being on camera from the Report, but having someone take photos of only me was something I was still getting used to. They'd shuffled us all around multiple times to get us in varying poses and I'd ended up near one of the large windows. A group of maids was fussing with the skirt of my dress while the photographer motioned for them to move away so he could take some shots. All I could see were the quick flashes of light from his camera.

"Prince Derek!" he exclaimed suddenly. "Please, join the lady for some pictures."

The maids scurried away and I felt Derek's hand on my shoulder moments later. I looked up at him as he gently drew me closer; his lips were curved into a smile. "Hello beautiful."

I chuckled, barely hearing the photographer as he instructed Derek to place his arms around my waist. "Hey you."

His breath was warm against my cheek as I turned my head to face the camera. We said nothing as the photographer snapped photos, but I found it easier to smile with Derek near me.

The man rushed over again, twirling me around to face Derek. One arm was wrapped against him and the other draped against his chest. Derek's arm wrapped around me, his hand holding mine against his chest. It seemed an oddly intimate pose, our bodies practically flush against each other. I felt myself blush as the photographer began taking photos again but Derek's eyes never left mine.

The light from the window caught against the silver comb in my hair; all of the Elite were wearing them. Derek's gaze shifted briefly to it and his eyes softened. With his arms around me, and the comb in my hair, it almost felt like I was really a princess. It wasn't a far off possibility anymore, but it suddenly felt real.

The moment was over quickly. The photographer finished his photos and a maid was dragging Derek over to Fallon before he could even glance at me. I swallowed, wringing my hands together. Christmas eve was certainly quite different this year.
__________________________
Pretty boring but the next chapter will be more exciting. Sorry this took so long, life is very stressful at the moment! I hope you guys enjoyed this.

QOTC: Favorite season?

AOTC: Winter! most people hate it but I adore snow and Christmas.

Please comment and vote!

xoxo, _lovemultifandoms_